Black-Out Safety Cover?

Jun 17, 2014
Manasquan, NJ
Do these things really work and if so, what manufacturer's would you recommend?

I have a standard mesh safety cover and I'm tired of opening my pool to a green mess every year. At my previous residence I tried the solid tarp style cover with a sump pump and I opened the pool to clean water every year but it was such a pain to fill the water bags and mess with the pump and all that.

I've been told they make mesh safety covers weaved in such a way that the water will pass through (more slowly) but that it also blocks out the light so you don't get any algae growth during the closed months. It seems like the perfect marriage of convenience and easy-opens but I wanted to see if the claims are to be believed before calling around for quotes. Thanks!

I don't have a black out safety cover (standard winter safety cover) and I open to clean water every spring. I elevate to shock level for about 24 hours, then close, cover. No algaecide.

Most of the issue with opening to clean water is to close late and open early. If you close before the water is solidly below 60 degrees, algae has a chance to grow. Similarly, if you open after the water has gone above 60 degrees, algae has a chance to get started. Algae grows very slowly at temps below 60 degrees. The single biggest factor to opening clean is closing clean and late and then opening early. Any winter safety cover will block a significant amount of sunlight (80-95%?) the black out ones just do it better.

The only clean up I have is the dust that filters through the cover from snowmelt/wind over the closed season and a few leaves that sneak under the edges.

My thoughts exactly.

Our cover is the finer mesh but I strictly adhere to the 60 degree rule. So consequently my pool is open in mid-April and closed in mid-October in Maryland. And I'm 4 for 4 at clear openings.

My thoughts exactly.

Our cover is the finer mesh but I strictly adhere to the 60 degree rule. So consequently my pool is open in mid-April and closed in mid-October in Maryland. And I'm 4 for 4 at clear openings.

I employ the same strategy in Chicago (mid-April to mid-October). Simplifies opening the next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.