"Black hat" for outlet jet

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
Have a Coleman/Bestway AGP that comes with the 2 black hats to plug the inlets to the pump. What can you use to plug the hole where the water shoots out? Just noticed when I put it in the closed position, there's still a small trickle of water coming out of it, which won't help for trying to winterize it. In the attached picture, talking about the left half.

Was probably an oversight on my part here thinking when I turned it to the off/locked position it would completely stop the flow of water. Do they sell similar but larger black hats or something that would work just as well at hardware/home improvement type stores? Or do I need something huge to fill the entire hole when taking that whole assembly off both sides of the pool wall?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-10-29 19-53-19.png
    Screenshot from 2023-10-29 19-53-19.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Might just need to get an expandable winterizing plug for that jet fitting.

full

Reactions: rj2222
Thanks. Are those special ones for pools, or just something you can pick up at like a Home Depot/Lowes/Menards type store?

Just basically use it like the black hat on the B holes in that screenshot, right?

I don't know why I expected the thing you can turn off/lock would actually stop all the water 🤣

HD and Lowe's do have some plugs, but the ones I saw were not cone shaped. Same concept though with a wingnut to twist and expand the plug once inserted. But yes, with a winterizing or expandable plug, you should be able to remove the return jet eyeball, insert the plug into the hole, then expend it to seal.

Great, thanks a ton. Going to make the rounds to all the stores to see if I can find any cone shaped ones.

If they don't have cone shaped ones and I need to order online and wait a few days, any "plan B" options from those type stores that could hold me over for a few days you think? Temps dropping below freezing faster than I thought here 😑

Also you can look for a pvc cap - unscrew the valve & screw on the cap. Not sure if that part has the proprietary threads or not.

Thanks everyone, based on some reading here was hoping to avoid draining at all, so hopefully a hardware store fix is in my future. Or I'll drain 😀 just need to figure out how to drain only enough and stop it without flooding my backyard 🤣 only ever drained until empty before.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks everyone, based on some reading here was hoping to avoid draining at all, so hopefully a hardware store fix is in my future. Or I'll drain 😀 just need to figure out how to drain only enough and stop it without flooding my backyard 🤣 only ever drained until empty before.
If you plug everything else & only leave that valve open to drain via gravity the water can only go as low as that hole. Then remove the valve & hose & you’re done ✔️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you plug everything else & only leave that valve open to drain via gravity the water can only go as low as that hole. Then remove the valve & hose & you’re done ✔️
I was thinking about that too, but not sure how to redirect all that water trickling out of that size thing to a garden hose or something to drain it to where it needs to go.

So silly me, without eyeballing the pool before heading out, just went and bought a variety of 1.5 inch things thinking one of them had to work. I was wrong 🤣

So the hoses themselves must be 1.5 but the threaded things are all slightly larger, which never dawned on me, so guess I have to measure.

Also, the outlet thing for the water to blow back into the pool from the filter, mine is just a big plastic piece not adjustable. Also, I'm not seeing how I can take just that out to plug the hole (which I'm not sure the exact size of the hole either) as I believe that screws onto the wall securely by that flat piece that's flush against the outside of the pool. If I undo that, won't all the water start to rush out that hole then?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but really appreciate people with way more experience lending their advice.

Reactions: Newdude
Where the valve screws in should be a smaller hole. That’s what you would plug - from the outside of the pool. Water will certainly come out until you get the plug in there.
Many have used the bowl method successfully.
Place a plastic bowl inside of the pool over the fitting up against the liner - this should stop most of the water flow- you can test this by closing the valve, place the bowl (may need a helper to hold it), remove the hose from the valve, then turn the valve back on and see if the water stops/slows greatly allowing you to work & remove the valve. Some have noted that the bowl gets sucked to the wall and stays in place. Ymmv.
Alternatively you can stuff a rag in the hole from the inside to slow the water down while you work.
This may take trial & error while you determine what size plug goes in there.

Reactions: rj2222 and Newdude
I'm sorry for all the questions, but really appreciate people with way more experience lending their advice
The only stupid question is one you don't ask. The folks here are literally here to help. Like. Solely here to help. :ROFLMAO:

If it's something silly, we all get a good laugh about it (with you, never at you). :)

Well I'm definitely laughing at my failures so far, so glad to share 🤣

Clever idea on the bowl. I tried looking online and couldn't find where they said the size of that hole. But you want to plug it from outside the pool not inside? Won't the pressure from the water just push the plug out eventually?

My other idea, which I'm thinking is dumb, is the valve with the lock/unlock that doesn't fully block the water, where it screws on to the hose outside the pool, could I plug it where the hose connects if I find something the right size? Or is that just asking for trouble when things freeze, that'll crack, and my backyard will flood.

Just having this mental image of me unscrewing that thing and getting blasted with water coming out that hole 🤣 maybe the bowl trick is the savior though.

If you have a screw in style plug you can do it from the inside or outside but if its the rubber expansion kind you would put it on the inside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.