AviB

Gold Supporter
Apr 10, 2024
Florida
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey All,

I'm in the market for a new filter and I've noticed the Black+Decker 525 Quad Filter Tank - SKU BDXBT525 for $1,044 (after 10% rebate). I've searched but I can't really find any information online or on this site about this model or Black+Decker filters.

I know that Black+Decker makes good variable speed pumps (I've recently purchased one) but I haven't heard anything about their filters.

Does anyone have first hand experience or knowledge or recommendations regarding these filters?

Thanks!

Looks like a clone of the Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filter. The air relief valve at the top is almost identical to what Pentair uses. The internals are a little different in terms of the top and bottom manifolds but not really significant.

Can’t vouch for their longevity but if they offer a good price and a decent warranty, I don’t see why they wouldn’t last as long.

The biggest issue with these filters are the manifolds on the top and bottom. On this unit it looks like water is pushed through the cartridges and then sent into the upper manifold. The construction of that manifold is the most critical part of the filter as it is under the most pressure and stress. If manifolds are constructed poorly or cheaply, they’ll develop cracks, typically around the seal points (two molded halves that are heat sealed together). Those cracks lead to water bypassing the filter elements.

No way to know for sure but take a gamble. I can vouch for Pentair’s longevity … B&D 🤷‍♂️