Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi All,
As mentioned in my intro, I have a black algae problem. It's the reason I'm here. After months of reading and hearing different things to try, this is my last resort. Fingers crossed.

Background:
The pool was built over the first 9 months of 2022. It was officially filled with water on September 1st. Within a week I found several black spots on the stairs. After some scrubbing, the black spots lessened a little, but revealed a hard center, like a raised pebble. It's hard to say what could have gone wrong in that first 7-10 days, I have a few working theories for another time.

The only way I've been able to remove the black algae is by heavily dosing in acid OR using an ice pick. The pick can crush the algae sometimes. I have noticed that when the pool has had a recent shock, the algae is easier to remove, but I've only been able to put a dent in the population as it has spread to the entire pool. Generally, I scrub with a metal brush, and now that the weather has warmed, I have been getting in again to scrape the algae with an ice pick.

Present Pool Conditions:
Salt Water Pool running 16 hours/day at 15% Chlorinator (recently lowered because chlorine was very high, it has been in the 7-11 ppm range for several weeks now).
FC: 10.5ppm, CC: 0.5ppm, CYA: 70-90* pH: 8.0, verified with Taylor K-2006C
TA: 135ppm, CH: 240ppm verified by In-Store Pool Test (will verify with test kit tomorrow, ran out of daylight today)
Filter is original and pretty gunked up, I have the replacement catridge ready, just didn't know if I should deploy now or after treatment.

Initial Plan:
I've read the literature on this site and several others, I was originally going to try copper, but after finding TFP, I wanted to give this a try first.
First, on the CYA test, how accurate can this be with the black dot and cloudy liquid test? Depending on the lighting conditions, you can see the black dot better or worse. I first started to lose sight of the black dot around 90-100ppm, but could still faintly make it out up to around 70ppm, that why I listed 70-90ppm as the range. I understand this is very high and from the calculator it means the high end of the "Maintain" Range is between 10-12 ppm FC, which is roughly where I am at. The SLAM/Shock level would be 28-35ppm.

Second, understood the pH is too high. Some acid was added last week, but once receiving the test kit, I have a better idea on how much acid to add and will get the pH down to 7.4 before proceeding.

That said, once CYA and pH issues above are resolved, will move forward with below plan of continuous treatment until BA disappears:
* Run pool 24 hours/day
* Brush pool several times a day with steel brush (I've already been using one fairly often)
* Maintain FC level between 12-28. Would 15 ppm be alright? Can FC be added via the SWG rather than liquid chlorine? Since I am already at 10.5ppm FC, getting into the 14-18 range would not be difficult by turning up the SWG%, I believe it even has a "shock" setting.
* Monitor/Maintain all other parameters.

A few further questions:
1. At what point do I risk staining the pool with excessive chlorine?
2. As mentioned above, when should I swap in the new filter?
3. Should I do a water exchange with fresh water to get the CYA down? Or would this create more issues as I have to rebalance several other parameters?

Any advice or feedback on the above plan would be hugely appreciated. I have owned a pool for about 5 years now, but this is the first pool I had built new. With my old pool, I never had any issues with algae, just plumbing leaks and equipment issues.

Thank you,
Mike

The only way I've been able to remove the black algae is by heavily dosing in acid OR using an ice pick. The pick can crush the algae sometimes.
Mike, this is a bit interesting. BA can be stubborn with its roots, but to this degree? I'm wondering if you have another issue that date back to how your plaster/pebble was applied. Any chance you can get photos of these lumps with a "hard center"? For that I'm going to call on the assistance of @onBalance and @JamesW.

As for the FC level, no guesswork here. You need accuracy and reliability. So ..........

First the CYA. Don't force it. Look at the dot, turn away, look back, etc. If you stare you'll make yourself think it's there. The CYA test has about a 15% variance anyways. It's hand grenades, just need to get close.

From there the FC as on the on the FC/CYA Levels. If you are going to use the SLAM Process, then take the FC up to the appropriate SLAM FC level. If not, leave teh FC in the regular target range.

An elevated FC level for a SLAM isn't going to hurt the plaster. Should be no need to change the filter at this point. Mine is going on about 9 years old. YOu should easily get ~5 years. As for the water exchange, only if the CYA is 90 or above.

That said, once CYA and pH issues above are resolved, will move forward with below plan of continuous treatment until BA disappears:
* Run pool 24 hours/day
* Brush pool several times a day with steel brush (I've already been using one fairly often)
* Maintain FC level between 12-28. Would 15 ppm be alright? Can FC be added via the SWG rather than liquid chlorine? Since I am already at 10.5ppm FC, getting into the 14-18 range would not be difficult by turning up the SWG%, I believe it even has a "shock" setting.
* Monitor/Maintain all other parameters.

A few further questions:
1. At what point do I risk staining the pool with excessive chlorine?
Not likely. Keep at/below SLAM level, should be fine.
2. As mentioned above, when should I swap in the new filter?
Not sure how to answer. Gunked up isn't a technical term. I'd swap now if you cannot clean the cartridges. What are they gunked with? Can you not clean them sufficiently? Cartridge filters, when cleaned properly last a long time.
3. Should I do a water exchange with fresh water to get the CYA down? Or would this create more issues as I have to rebalance several other parameters?
Deal with the CYA! Exchange 50% of your pool water. Get it down to 30-50 (at the worst, 60). Read the section here on no drain water exchange. At CYA levels of 70-90, you will struggle to kill algae, let alone Black.

When you have CYA in order, follow the black algae protocol. SWCG is good at maintaining, not good at raising. Use LC to raise to your target (for BA) and see if SWCG can maintain BA target. If not, convert to LC.

Be careful reading the SLAM process instructions. You maintain the FC at the SLAM level which is 28ppm, not 15-28. 15ppm FC is barely above the minimum if your CYA is really at 100 so it’s not going to do much. Your SWCG adds chlorine too slowly so it won’t be able to catch up fast enough. Liquid is what you want after you exchange water to drop the CYA level.

Hi All, thanks for your input and feedback.

I was basing my plan off the BA article here on TFP:

In the article, it says to keep FC between normal and SLAM levels, that's why I had said somewhere between 12 and 28, suggesting 15 or so. BUT, if the recommendation is to straight up SLAM the pool and take it to 28, then that's what I'll do. It just didn't seem clear in the BA article.

I will try to get the CYA down and re-test to make sure I'm getting a reasonably accurate reading. Then I'll re-calculate the SLAM level, raise the FC, and get to work scrubbin'.

Thanks,
Michael

In the article, it says to keep FC between normal and SLAM levels, that's why I had said somewhere between 12 and 28, suggesting 15 or so.
Correct. You do not need to go to SLAM level FC. Somewhere around 15-20% of CYA level for the FC should be sufficient. You can use the SWCG to do that if it can.

Hi All, thanks for your input and feedback.

I was basing my plan off the BA article here on TFP:

In the article, it says to keep FC between normal and SLAM levels, that's why I had said somewhere between 12 and 28, suggesting 15 or so. BUT, if the recommendation is to straight up SLAM the pool and take it to 28, then that's what I'll do. It just didn't seem clear in the BA article.

I will try to get the CYA down and re-test to make sure I'm getting a reasonably accurate reading. Then I'll re-calculate the SLAM level, raise the FC, and get to work scrubbin'.

Thanks,
Michael
Marty’s right, I’m usually suspicious of black algae claims but yours seems to be legit if you are picking it out with an ice pick. I still would err closer to SLAM chlorine though but that’s just my opinion.

Thank you both. I got the pH levels down into the mid-7s and started to ramp up the run % on the chlorine generator, also switching it to run 24/7.

Today, pH was back up to 8.0 with an acid demand of 2 quarts and FC had risen from 8 to 11. From what I understand, the more chlorine I generate, the pH will rise, so can I expect to frequently be adding acid to counter-balance?

Thanks!

Oh, wow. I've read in a few places that adding chlorine drives pH up, but if this is the case, how should I test pH? Or what should I do to ensure it's not too high?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool store TA tests are notoriously low as they do 'adjusted' TA to get you to buy high priced baking soda. Do your own testing.

Pool store TA tests are notoriously low as they do 'adjusted' TA to get you to buy high priced baking soda. Do your own testing.
I ran the test this morning and got 110-120 ppm TA. I put a range because at 11 drops it just faintly started turning some areas red but wouldn't hold and at 12 drops it went full solid red. So seems in line with the 125 from the store. Acid has been added since the 125 reading, so I think it's reasonable to see a decline in the numbers, no?

Best way to lower alkalinity is just via acid?

A quick update. I've gotten and held the FC in the low 20s now. 20-24 ppm. I am scrubbing twice a day.

I do believe progress is happening, but its slow. Some of the black spots are turning a reddish brown, which in my experience is when the algae shell has come off and it is being killed by the chlorine. There are still many black dots to go, but I am hoping I can hold out longer than the algae.

I know all algae and pools are different, but in the realm of what's possible, this could go weeks, correct? We're now on Day 3 of FC in the 20-24 range.

Thanks!

Reactions: Mdragger88
A quick update. I've gotten and held the FC in the low 20s now. 20-24 ppm. I am scrubbing twice a day.

I do believe progress is happening, but its slow. Some of the black spots are turning a reddish brown, which in my experience is when the algae shell has come off and it is being killed by the chlorine. There are still many black dots to go, but I am hoping I can hold out longer than the algae.

I know all algae and pools are different, but in the realm of what's possible, this could go weeks, correct? We're now on Day 3 of FC in the 20-24 range.

Thanks!
Only day 3? Don’t worry in that case. It’s still early in the process. I’d be shocked (pun intended) if it only took 3 days to clear up any kind of algae so don’t worry.

Reactions: Mithe86
Hi All, thank you again for the continued advice. It really helps.

I am now at nearly 2 weeks in elevated FC levels. I have kept the FC within about 22-26, which is just under SLAM for the CYA. The pH has improved, but still work to be done to keep it stable in the 7.4 range.

The BA seems to be *slowly* going away. I do feel like the surfaces are clearing up, but it is gradual. I know no two algae situations are the same, but does this timeline so far seem ok? I brush the BA daily, but I am a little worried using the steel brush so often on the same spots might damage the plaster. At 7-8 months of age, is the plaster still vulnerable? My other fear is that because the plaster was so young when the algae first showed up, it has been able to dig in deeper than on an aged pool surface.

I think one area I will always have problems is the stair steps. They do not have any nearby return, so the water in that area can easily stagnate. It was the first area to show BA, as well. Do you have any recommendations to improve water flow to that area? Is it possible to add extensions to other returns to get water moving over there? Maybe a wand or something to direct flow that way? Attached is a drawing of the situation.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Pool Diagram.PNG
    Pool Diagram.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 11

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.