lawalters

Sep 14, 2020
Charlotte, North Carolina
It's time to replaster our 23 year old pool. In the past 5 years, black algae has been a problem. Have gotten several quotes to re-plaster. I really want the same solid white plaster that has been used for years but I have been told that the plaster today is not the same formula and that the black algae will come back thru. I have been told that if I plaster, it will only last a couple of years. My old plaster lasted over 20 years and has only started looking bad recently. I really don't like the pebble finishes due to the roughness and the fleck appearance. Any suggestions?

I don't know about old plaster vs. today's plaster, but...... are they not chipping out the old? I would want a total chip out down to the shell. You can run into problems with just plastering over the "old" plaster. If your old plaster is removed, I would suspect all the algae would go with it. If your water is balanced properly, the plaster can last 20 years. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can go into detail on a total chip out vs. just plastering over old.

I don't know about old plaster vs. today's plaster, but...... are they not chipping out the old? I would want a total chip out down to the shell. You can run into problems with just plastering over the "old" plaster. If your old plaster is removed, I would suspect all the algae would go with it. If your water is balanced properly, the plaster can last 20 years. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can go into detail on a total chip out vs. just plastering over old.
Thanks for the reply. They will be chipping out some of the plaster. Anywhere that is pitted, chipped, or holding algae. I hope somebody out there knows about plaster formulations and if it's true that they don't make it like they used to. My suspicion is that the pebble surface is about twice the price as plaster so they may be trying to "up sell"

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.