Bird Poop in pool

sonoma

May 3, 2010
Due to current events I have been out of work since March 16. With time on my hands I opened the pool April 5, about five weeks earlier than normal. I notice every year birds poop a lot in the spring, I guess it is part of their nesting. Every year the poop would be on the cover but this year since the pool is opened earlier much of it is landing in the pool. I honestly think it is on purpose. I keep my chemicals to TFP standards and clean the poop out daily. They sit on the edge and just drop it in the water and it sinks to the bottom so it's not hard to get to. Its close to the edge (Yes).

Question: Is anyone aware of any dangers or germs of so much bird poop being in the water? Will any disease, bacteria or any other danger build up because of this?
Thanks in advance and any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, how I can relate to your battle. I have some previous threads/posts about our annual issue of the grackles dumping their fecal sacs everywhere in our yard. We're tried darn near everything to stop them with no luck and we're right in the middle of the worst of it.

We opened early last year and twice a day they destroyed the pool and pool deck. I could spend hours cleaning it and then it would be a mess again in the same amount of time. This year, we gave up and just covered the whole pool/pool deck area with a large blue tarp. Much easier to clean up but it looks like :poop: ! lol I hose it down every couple of days, drain the water/waste off the cover and it all starts again. This picture shows the activity after a day and a half and it's even worse than it looks.

Last year when we left the pool open, it would get hit hard. I just ran the robot twice a day and maintained a bit higher FC level to combat any possible bacteria. No issue other than the gross-out factor. I hate those birds!!!

1589475335222.png

I read your thread. Sorry but good to know I am not alone. I know I can't stop it but I was just wondering about disease or germ build up. I am expecting a grandson any day now and he will probably get a dunk or two before the end of the season.

Yeah, once I learned I wasn't alone, it did help. A little! haha As long as you maintain your FC levels, your water will be sanitary. Congrats on arrival of your grandson. I'm sure some fun memories will be made in (and out of!) your pool this summer!

Yeah, I would wear gloves when handling the task of cleaning out the robot filters last year. So gross. Last year, our first sac arrived on 5/1 and while greatly reduced, was still an issue on June 12th. This year, our first one was 5/4. Who knows when it will end??

I would love to have our pool uncovered to look at (and tinker with when I'm bored), but after two years it's just too "emotionally draining" for me to keep going through that cycle every day! lol And what's worse, is the birds are BOLD about it! Seriously, many tears of frustration/anger have been shed... :LOL:

We'll fully open this year when it trickles down to a few a day.

SAME! I love that you swear it’s on purpose because so do I. ? Thankfully it’s worst in the spring because I’m so happy to be out in the warm sunshine that I can let it go pretty easily. I was in my floaty chair this afternoon and a bird blatantly dove down to drop one two feet away from me and I was able to laugh and get the net to scoop it right out. And be grateful it missed me! Ugh!

Phew, that was a close call! lol He was probably aiming for you, but a breeze changed the trajectory and foiled his plan! He'll be back! :LOL:

Oh, I am so jealous you're swimming already! If it weren't for the birds, we would be too. We're still getting hit pretty hard. We're almost at the 4-week mark and it's still going strong. If things slow down considerably, I'll deal with a few, but until that happens, the ugly blue tarp stays on! lol

Three days ago, I hosed off the entire pool/tarp, scooped everything out and pumped the water off the tarp. These pictures were taken a day and a half later and somehow the pictures don't even do the damage justice. ?? Hopefully we'll be over the hump within the next week or so!

Attachments

• C757633A-929E-41EE-9CB1-1F21F1403748.jpeg
    C757633A-929E-41EE-9CB1-1F21F1403748.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 598B59CB-A312-43B7-8303-F9BFC7D11D04.jpeg
    598B59CB-A312-43B7-8303-F9BFC7D11D04.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all of the replies. It quieted down about a week ago. All has been good. Now just battling pollen from oak trees. BTW, I did my research. The white bird droppings without chunks is simply bird urine. They really know what they are doing.

On Sunday, we had noticed it had calmed down substantially over the previous day and a half, so we chanced it and opened! Whoo-hooo! We're still getting 5 - 6 each day, but that's way better than hundreds per day, so it looks like we all survived another grackle season!

Yes, we bought three owls and placed them around the pool when they would swoop down and drop their "goodies". They didn't care and actually pooped on them! lol We tried rubber snakes, ultrasonic bird repellants, a net(!), etc.. The only thing that worked was giving up, covering it with a tarp and waiting until the attack was over for the season before opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.