Biofilm in new tubs

User2021

In The Industry
Jan 7, 2021
Indiana
Hello All,
Curious if anyone has experienced biofilm issue in a brand new hot tub? How common is this issue from the manufacture?

Just purchased a new tub after owning my first one for 16 years. The term biofilm was new to me until 4 weeks ago. Never heard the term or had an issue prior to purchasing new tub.
Getting an education about biofilms as I research to understand and resolve what occurred on initial fill up. I knew something was not right upon initial fill and attempted balance.

Noticing manufactures and dealers do not acknowledge or speak to the need to purge before use. Seems like a health safety and consumer protection issue to make customers aware of the potential dangers of biofilm in new products.
Do manufactures have a responsibility to warn of potential biofilm in their new products from factory?

I have discovered Ahh Some product.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you.

Curious if anyone has experienced biofilm issue in a brand new hot tub? How common is this issue from the manufacture?
Hey U2 and welcome. Many users have seen firsthand the gunk in a brand new tub. They test them all at the factory and residual water remains in the plumbing.
Noticing manufactures and dealers do not acknowledge or speak to the need to purge before use
They certainly should but they don’t. The dealers especially because it would be another easy sale to push a purge product on the buyer.
I have discovered Ahh Some product.

Any thoughts would be welcome
Protect yourself and if the tub just happens to be clean, you can sleep well at night. Plus you will need the ahhsome anyway and will have lots leftover for yearly purges.

There actually are some (a few) dealers that acknowledge the need for startup purging due to bio films & include a packet of ahhsome with their tubs. @Ahhsomeguy has been making his way across the country to educate as many as he can - i’m sure he has a list.

Thank you for the responses. Primary reason I am asking questions is because I picked up a bacterial infection in my hand after being exposed to the biofilm... Extremely disappointed I was unaware of biofilm and dealer did not respond to my concern about the slimy substance upon initial set up. I called the major tub manufacture and was told they have never heard the term "biofilm"...

• Sad
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.