Bi-Carb Start Up Question

Kouri

Bronze Supporter
Feb 5, 2017
Central Florida
We have just tested our 55-gallon drum set-up and it worked perfectly. How do calculate the amount of time it will take the 3-output hoses to fill the pool? We know it took 8-minutes to fill the drum and we keeping track of emptying time with one hose.

Thanks.
Susan

55 will go into 6300 114 times. So you will need to fill the 55 drum 114 times. 114x8mins=913 mins. 913 mins is 15+ hours. That is saying my math is right :roll: I WILL remind you I am a Kindergarten teacher and 1+1 does NOT always = 2 around me LOL

Kim:kim:

Since we had to slow down the input because the barrel was overflowing, we decided 15 - 20 hours should do it. It will be a long night as we frequently check the progress but worth it.

This is why I do not like the barrel method. I fill the pool as fast as possible and test/add Bicarb every couple hours.

You only get 5-6 GPM from your faucet? Are you on a well?

Explain again why the hoses are run into a barrel and not into the pool???

The barrel is used as a mixing tank for the Bicarb Startup.

A Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP members

Bicarb Start-Up ABCs | Pools/Spas | WaterShapes

I understand that using the barrel method will slow things down; I'm guessing this would allow a pro to leave the bi-carb start-up process with the homeowner and not worry that it not be done correctly. BUT -- I'm the homeowner and a newbie so I feel that it will give me a little bit more control over the situation. If I had done this before or even taken care of a pool before I might feel more confident -- when I decided to do this I had never tested the water or even swept the pool. I had not found TFP and the pool people here had never heard of the process. The barrel should work for my situation.

We are not on a well and output is much faster than the input. In other words, the barrel fills faster than the three hoses empty into the pool.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.