Better way to attach solar blanket to reel for Roman.

NyAra

Jul 7, 2013
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Every few years I buy a new solar cover I attach it to the reel the same way since I have a double Roman. I go out about 4 feet or so and clip it there the way I’ve always done. I hate the extra flap that always gets caught underneath itself and makes it more of a pain to close by myself.
Anyone figured out a way to attach at the end like a rectangle one? I always thought extending or shortening the straps accordingly could work but never wanted to try as it would ruin the cover of it didn’t work. Thanks.

I have a double-roman-end pool as well, and have wondered the same thing. I'm new to the game, so I've stayed very conservative right now and just left the solar cover rectangular. I've been too gun-shy to cut it to match the shape of the pool until I see what works for fear of over-trimming it.

Consequently, the rectangular corners just overlay the concrete around the pool and I attach it to the reel in the normal fashion. That does give me some problems when the wind gets under it though. I've also thought about extending the straps, and don't see any reason that it shouldn't work.

I didn't like the idea of going out 4 or 5 feet to attach in the middle because I don't want the hassle of moving it back and forth to go swimming.

One thing you might do is cut just one end to match the shape, attach that to the reel with appropriately sized straps, and if it doesn't work out, turn it around so that becomes the free end and then try something else or go back to your regular routine using the other end.

I'll be interested to hear other ideas, and how the varying-length straps work out.

I always attached my straps about 12" from the end of the cover. I left the cover as a full rectangle and didn't worry about the Roman corners. The pool is such that the wind blows the length of the pool starting at the end farthest from the reel. The end farthest from the reel is also the shallow end. I'd just lay my safety float line on top of the solar cover just to make sure the wind couldn't pick it up. I'd trim the width and length of the cover so it would lay on the water and just lap up the sides and end about 2" all the way around. That way it covered the water but didn't stick up high enough to catch the wind. Once I had the cover on I'd just fold the triangular pieces back into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.