Bestway Pool modifications

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
Moved from here.
Hey. Im here looking for same information. I have an 18x48 Bestway pool I'm putting up and I've already bought the Hayward skimmer. I've done this twice before on the Intex version of the pools and I imagine the skimmer itself is going to be no different on the install what I'm wondering is what do I do with the bottom suction lines.

Those are useless to keep imho and I don't want to plumb them in. I've got the skimmer that's going to do the job better that underwater suction lines ever will.

But what do I do with those ports down there in the liner? I'm looking at either trying to patch about two quarter size holes or I could try to install the fittings, but block them in some way... or... option 3... which would work... but would look like Crud and might be a harbor for algae and other things I don't want in my pool is to simply run a line between the two of them on the outside of the pool but not connected them to filtration system.

Option 3 doesn't sound like it will look good and I can just see stagnant water sitting in those lines.

Option 2 will also not look very good and sounds cumbersome.

Option 1 sounds best but ive never patched a quarter sized hole. Thinking ill patch both sides with plenty of glue and hope for the best.

As far as the hayward return jet I think it should go in right where the original one from Bestway goes. The hole for the bestway jet, whenever I look at the two different return jets, is slightly bigger than the Hayward... but the Hayward gaskets will cover the hole so that shouldn't be a problem

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way pool has two of these located I think about 2 to 3 foot off the bottom of the liner I haven't unrolled my liner yet. I'm still in the planning phase on this as I'm waiting for some dirt to be hauled into level the area.

so 2 quarter sized holes that you will need to patch unless you want to plumb these in to your system which I think is probably a waste of PVC pipe... as I think you're better off giving all the suction power to that skimmer... these are worthless.

So to recap the best way pool does not come with a skimmer only return and two of these.
20230501_171917.jpg20230501_171919.jpg

Last edited:
Moved from here.
Hey. Im here looking for same information. I have an 18x48 Bestway pool I'm putting up and I've already bought the Hayward skimmer. I've done this twice before on the Intex version of the pools and I imagine the skimmer itself is going to be no different on the install what I'm wondering is what do I do with the bottom suction lines.

Those are useless to keep imho and I don't want to plumb them in. I've got the skimmer that's going to do the job better that underwater suction lines ever will.

But what do I do with those ports down there in the liner? I'm looking at either trying to patch about two quarter size holes or I could try to install the fittings, but block them in some way... or... option 3... which would work... but would look like Crud and might be a harbor for algae and other things I don't want in my pool is to simply run a line between the two of them on the outside of the pool but not connected them to filtration system.

Option 3 doesn't sound like it will look good and I can just see stagnant water sitting in those lines.

Option 2 will also not look very good and sounds cumbersome.

Option 1 sounds best but ive never patched a quarter sized hole. Thinking ill patch both sides with plenty of glue and hope for the best.

As far as the hayward return jet I think it should go in right where the original one from Bestway goes. The hole for the bestway jet, whenever I look at the two different return jets, is slightly bigger than the Hayward... but the Hayward gaskets will cover the hole so that shouldn't be a problem
Just put the rubber plugs inside it. If they don’t fit order diff style on eBay or Amazon I have black ones and blue ones Supp to b intex other bestway but I block one suction I put the plug in 3 seasons ago from inside pool and pushed it into the rubber nipple thing lol I never thought another second about it. Trust me it stays put. However some reviews on pool I have said plugs came with it don’t fit. So is why I got 2 types off eBay the intex have a short tip but bestway have a slender long tip I attach pic of all 3 kinds I have. Funny I have 2 of all of them cause I put one n a suction port of my last 4 pools. But the long slender usually fit in bestway I’m looking at packages of new intex ultra frame xtr pool I just got and the ones came with it r identical to the black short ones at top of the photo. So I absolutely would not place a patch just push that plug in you may need to apply Vaseline or silicone lube first but it will work and stay. I’ve had 3 bestway pools and this is my 2nd intex but I know some people say hats and you place them nipple pointing into pool and put strainer grid back on but if you don’t have the suction fittings in the pool wall just slide these into the spot nipple pointing at pool wall I Actualy forgot to even keep eye on it after while but never did I have issue of leaking or anything and we have storms tornadoes etc hope this helps. Why patch when you can do this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 2
The best way pool has two of these located I think about 2 to 3 foot off the bottom of the liner I haven't unrolled my liner yet. I'm still in the planning phase on this as I'm waiting for some dirt to be hauled into level the area.

so 2 quarter sized holes that you will need to patch unless you want to plumb these in to your system which I think is probably a waste of PVC pipe... as I think you're better off giving all the suction power to that skimmer... these are worthless.

So to recap the best way pool does not come with a skimmer only return and two of these.
View attachment 487708View attachment 487709
Hello I replied already but wanna show you how I used the plug in one suction where you can see isn’t connected on outside and showing date too and then this week when I drain it you can easily see the plug in the suction and then my large pool suction fitting then large pool inlet. It’s a black plug tho but the photo I sent you of 3 diff ones 2 of each the black and the blue that have longer nipples than the black ones at top are for bestway top black is for intex but they may all fit. Again no need to mess with the fittings just plug the 2 suction openings up with the rubber plug push it in from inside pool nipple pointing at pool wall push all way into the pool wall may need vasoline or silicone lubricant but these photos can show you how it would be and how long I had same plug in there this is 3rd season never a prob and I’ve done it before on every pool I’ve had cause dual suction doesn’t work for me I’m just not doing that lol again plug is on far left first pic was this week draining pool and 2nd pic shows the outside think 2021 and it’s to the right you can see the grey rubber part made in the liner and see I have nothing connected because the black plug is inside the opening from inside of pool keeping it sealed very well

Attachments

• IMG_5248.jpeg
    IMG_5248.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1005.jpeg
    IMG_1005.jpeg
    653.2 KB · Views: 8
My bestway came with stoppers like this:

Although mine were a pliable material and the amazon ones look like plastic which wouldn't work as well.
I believe this is what I used to plug the suction I never used I added pics for them to see the diff types and then showing inside of pool this week when draining n can see it is plugged and then outside of pool clearly showing nothing is attached. Never had any leaks no need to do fitting then add these not from my experience

Hello I replied already but wanna show you how I used the plug in one suction where you can see isn’t connected on outside and showing date too and then this week when I drain it you can easily see the plug in the suction and then my large pool suction fitting then large pool inlet. It’s a black plug tho but the photo I sent you of 3 diff ones 2 of each the black and the blue that have longer nipples than the black ones at top are for bestway top black is for intex but they may all fit. Again no need to mess with the fittings just plug the 2 suction openings up with the rubber plug push it in from inside pool nipple pointing at pool wall push all way into the pool wall may need vasoline or silicone lubricant but these photos can show you how it would be and how long I had same plug in there this is 3rd season never a prob and I’ve done it before on every pool I’ve had cause dual suction doesn’t work for me I’m just not doing that lol again plug is on far left first pic was this week draining pool and 2nd pic shows the outside think 2021 and it’s to the right you can see the grey rubber part made in the liner and see I have nothing connected because the black plug is inside the opening from inside of pool keeping it sealed very well
Also you can clearly see my pool is full of water in 2nd photo when showing outside of pool where I have it plugged from inside. Work better than any patch I’ve used. And you shouldn’t have any prob cutting liner for skimmer I’ve cut intex, bestway steel pro, bestway steel pro max, intex ultra frame, summer waves, and intex prism lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.