Best way to install Gladon Foam Cove in 18' round AquaSport 52

JaceTheAce

Bronze Supporter
Apr 10, 2020
Utah
Our AquaSport 52 18' Round pool is now constructed and we are ready to install the foam cove then lay and compact the sand base. I purchased the right amount of Gladon foam cove from Amazon, as recommended by the place where we purchased the pool.

Two questions:
1) I was planning on installing the cove then laying the sand base on top of that. It should work because the cove is 3.5" high and we are doing a 2" sand base. Is this the right way or do you lay the sand base first, _then_ put the foam cove? That seems problematic because the sand will settle but the foam is stuck to the side of the pool.

2) Our AquaSport is not round but is a Dodecagon (12-sided) with 150 degree angles in between each side. Is there some trick to make this work or do you treat it like finish carpentry and cut two adjoining pieces each at 15 degrees?

I would put down 3/4 of the sand so the pavers or whatever the supports and track is on is covered with sand THEN put the rest of the sand down and smooth is over the bottom of the cove edge on the bottom to make for a smoother transition from the cove to the bottom.

treat it like finish carpentry and cut two adjoining pieces each at 15 degrees
That is what my thought are. It may mean you need more in the long run though so be ready for that.

I'm posting a follow up for anyone who may have this question in the future. We tried a couple different approaches and found one that worked really well. Instead of having cove pieces meet at the corners of the pool, we centered each full cove piece at each corner then cut a small 1" triangular notch on the inner side of the bend. That relieved enough pressure to allow the cove to push into place on the corners. By doing it this way we ended up with a full cove piece on each corner with small 8" gaps in between each one. Because the gaps were on the straight part of the pool wall I could just do a straight cut of an 8" piece and fit it in the gap. I hope that makes sense. Also, as recommended by Mike at MGK Pools, I then duck taped over all the seams.

It worked brilliantly. We started filling the pool yesterday and the rounded coves look perfect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.