Best way to clean rocks from pool from neighbors pool build that rained gunite shrapnel in my backyard

Foosman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Austin, TX
The moronic gunite company did not put up a barrier when they shot the neighbors pool that includes a hot tub sitting about 6' off the ground. My entire back patio and pool are covered in small rocks (smaller than a childs pinky in size). There are thousands of rocks in my pool. Is it okay to use the vacuum and then clean out the pool basket and filter? What's the best and easiest way. I'll be emailing the gunite company and pool company to complain.

I would not vacuum the rocks through the pump and into the filter. Too much of a risk of clogging your suction line or damaging your pump.

Contact a pool company to vacuum your pool with a stand-alone vacuum rig. Or ask the neighbors PB to do it.

Reactions: Foosman
I wouldn't clean anything up.. Take pictures and go talk to your neighbors to let them know what happened and tell them to have their builder come see you like yesterday. Their builder is responsible for cleaning that mess up on your deck and in your pool.

Reactions: Pprior
Agreed with above, contact the neighbor and his PB. No responsible gunite company would ever shoot a pool without barriers in place. That’s ridiculous.

I spoke to my neighbor when I first noticed it. He contacted the pool company on my behalf and asked the pool company to please call me to discuss. Not surprising, they never contacted me. This pool company is well known for horrible customer service and it's not uncommon for them to not call back their own customers. I have some filter saver pool socks and can put one in the pump basket to catch the rocks when I vacuum...that's what I'm planning to do.

I had a similar thing happen when my roof was replaced. All kinds of junk in the pool including roofing nails. I have a robot so I just rant it and it cleaned out most of the junk. The rest I did manually. Life goes on.

A well written demand letter from an attorney (if you have one on retainer) with photographic documentation will remedy their poor customer service lickety-split.

I really would caution against using your pool equipment to vacuum up the mess. The aggregate size you describe could easily jam up your pumps impeller and either damage it or seize your pump. At the very least I would suggest you put an inline leaf canister on your vacuum line to capture the debris and not rely on your pump basket. They cost about $50 and you can add a copy of the receipt to the demand letter.

If you are careful and have your pumps' pot basket in place, and is not cracked, there is no reason why you couldn't vacuum that up with your pump. You just need to check/empty the pot basket as it gets full and go slow, as to not vacuum a lot of the material up at once. Anything small enough to get through the basket will be able to get through the impeller.

Having said that...

I agree with the others that you should do nothing, and make the PB have your pool cleaned. Document everything, and, if you still get no results, you may ask your neighbor, if he is willing, to hold his gunite or final payment until this has been resolved.

Reactions: Frank in FL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would NOT vacuum to the pump basket. Put a leaf canister in the vacuum line to catch things before they go into the suction line. In fact, I would even line that with a ladies nylon to strain out as much as possible.

Small claims court I think is up to $6000 or so. You could get an estimate for someone to clean it up and then take it to small claims on your own. No doubt they are liable. no way I'd be cleaning up their mess and if something happens to your pool equipment and you haven't documented the issue, they will deny it. At the very least take lots of pictures and document in writing every phone call and send written correspondence with copies of everything.

Reactions: Soupy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.