Best way to add CYA

May 7, 2018
Greensboro, NC
So - pool is filled finally (YAY) and need to start off by adding CYA (I am DONE with those stupid tri-chlor tablets).

I purchased a bag of Clorox 100% CYA from Wal-Mart, and per the TFP app, I need to add 41oz, or 2lbs, 9oz, to get to a CYA of 45ppm on my 6900g pool. I was reading to NOT broadcast it out as it will not dissolve well, and could also stain the liner. I have read to put it in an old sock and let it hang over the side, use panty hose, or to put it in your skimmer (which I do not have).

Given I have the Intex sand filter, is it okay to pour it in to the waste basket catch and not to run it on "filter", but on "recirculate" instead for 24 hours? I know it takes 2-7 days for the stuff to fully show on readings, but, I do not want my chlorine to all go to waste until then.

Thank you.

You want to use the sock-soaking method. Place the granules in a white sock or something similar and hang from the side of the pool - don't let the sock rest on the side. After about 10-15 minutes, start squeezing the sock and all that stuff will come out like milk. Don't pour in the skimmer. Not only because it is acid, but because the gandules won't dissolve as fast and could take close to a week to show up on results.

full

Reactions: 0REDSOX7
Nice pic Texas - I did that method for the first year, but now I put a knot at the top of the sock and drop it into the skimmer. I push it to the side so as not to block flow too much. I also never add more than 2 lb at a time. I go out and massage it a handful of times throughout the day to get it to dissolve. Seems to work fine.

Not advice, but a followup question, couldn't one just run a 5 gallon bucket of HOT water, and dissolve the granules in the hot water then add that to the pool after its dissolved? Would the hot water speed up the dissolve time?

Welp. Thankfully my wife just got new socks - so, two socks hung over the ladder steps right by the water outlet jet is what it’s gonna be...

going with two pounds first - then will see where I am at. I’ve learned...easy to add. Not easy to take away...

I thank all of you for your advise.

FAA5AB77-E15D-4ABD-8605-DC23ABED236F.jpeg

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thankfully my wife just got new socks - so, two socks hung over the ladder steps right by the water outlet jet is what it’s gonna be...
:goodjob:

couldn't one just run a 5 gallon bucket of HOT water, and dissolve the granules in the hot water then add that to the pool after its dissolved? Would the hot water speed up the dissolve time?
From one of TFP's chemical experts back in 2013:
You can't actually dissolve any useful amount of CYA in a bucket of water. After only a small amount has dissolved it will simply stop dissolving any further.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So here’s one more...

2lbs of CYA in - pump ran for four hours and everything dissolved well.

When would the best time be to add my chlorine. I have some pool shock from Leslie’s (power powder plus) that I’ve used in the past to open the pool with - but didn’t know if I should use that or my liquid jugs...

I would like to add tomorrow morning (it’s supposed to be cloudy and cold) and pool is covered, so figured that’s a good time as ever to get it started.

thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.