cgeorg07

Jun 3, 2021
NJ
Surface
Vinyl
16x36 Inground Vinyl Liner pool install has completed, and I have purchased a winter safety cover (HPI Bloc Mesh 99%). We have 3 sides grass, and the 16ft entry area is interlocking pavers with compacted sub-base.

I do realize the way my pool is setup with 75% grass that it could never be a true 'safety' cover, but I do want it to hold if my toddler accidentally walks onto it. I plan to be diligent during winter to remove as much snow as possible.

So, I was hoping for some install guidance as I could not come to terms with paying $6,000 to have it put in by PB.
  1. 18" Lawn lawn anchors - Pool Cover Lawn Stakes
    1. I have read to hammer them into the grass at an angle away from the pool for an eventual pullback towards the pool if there is any weight on the cover
  2. 10" Paver Tube - Pool Cover Paver Anchor Tubes
For the paver tube, what is the best way to drill through my 2" tech-bloc pavers? I only need to install 4 or 5.

I am planning to rent a SDS Max Rotary Drill from Home Depot, but looking for recommendations on a good masonry bit, core drill bit, etc.? I also don't have a $500 tool allowance :)

Attachments

• IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    814.4 KB · Views: 23
16x36 Inground Vinyl Liner pool install has completed, and I have purchased a winter safety cover (HPI Bloc Mesh 99%). We have 3 sides grass, and the 16ft entry area is interlocking pavers with compacted sub-base.

I do realize the way my pool is setup with 75% grass that it could never be a true 'safety' cover, but I do want it to hold if my toddler accidentally walks onto it. I plan to be diligent during winter to remove as much snow as possible.

So, I was hoping for some install guidance as I could not come to terms with paying $6,000 to have it put in by PB.
  1. 18" Lawn lawn anchors - Pool Cover Lawn Stakes
    1. I have read to hammer them into the grass at an angle away from the pool for an eventual pullback towards the pool if there is any weight on the cover
  2. 10" Paver Tube - Pool Cover Paver Anchor Tubes
For the paver tube, what is the best way to drill through my 2" tech-bloc pavers? I only need to install 4 or 5.

I am planning to rent a SDS Max Rotary Drill from Home Depot, but looking for recommendations on a good masonry bit, core drill bit, etc.? I also don't have a $500 tool allowance :)
Can you install the normal anchors in in the paver directly? It’s probably going to be tough to get a 10 inch steak down through the base rock at supporting their pavers without disrupting a bunch of it. You just need a hammer drill in the appropriate size bit and it should go right through that concrete paver.

@Bperry - My understanding is that just putting the anchors to the loose/interlocking pavers will cause them to pull out and not be very stable since they don't have the holding power like concrete. I was planning to let the 1" drill bit just continue down the full 10 inches

@Bperry - My understanding is that just putting the anchors to the loose/interlocking pavers will cause them to pull out and not be very stable since they don't have the holding power like concrete. I was planning to let the 1" drill bit just continue down the full 10 inches
The anchors themselves are not very deep and the pavers are made out of concrete just like a concrete deck. So I don’t think the anchors would come out of the paver itself but yeah the paver itself might become loose and pull away especially if there’s no other pavers holding it tightly. I’d tend to think it might be ok since the cover doesn’t have any upward force when it pulls. I’m interested in the solution since I may be adding pavers down the line to replace my decking.

It’s probably going to be tough to get a 10 inch steak down through the base rock at supporting their pavers without disrupting a bunch of it.
I don't think that a steak would be a good choice.

Raw_Porterhouse_Edit-5fc76aafa65d5a7235c2789e85c147cc.jpg

:p

For pavers, the tube is the way to go.

A core drill bit is better than a hammer drill as a hammer drill bit will likely crack the paver.

You might be able to drill between the stones in the grout lines to reduce the likelihood of cracks, but I would go with a diamond core drill bit.

The paver tube should specify the drill bit size.

To get the bit started, use a piece of wood with a hole the same size to stabilize the bit until it gets started.

Don't use a center bit to stabilize the core bit.

The bit looks about right.

You need the bit and an adaptor that fits the rotary drill.

Do not use the hammer action for a core drill.

I don't think that a steak would be a good choice.

Raw_Porterhouse_Edit-5fc76aafa65d5a7235c2789e85c147cc.jpg

:p

For pavers, the tube is the way to go.

A core drill bit is better than a hammer drill as a hammer drill bit will likely crack the paver.

You might be able to drill between the stones in the grout lines to reduce the likelihood of cracks, but I would go with a diamond core drill bit.
That’s what I get for using the speech to text feature on the phone.

• Haha
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.