Best Time To Test Free Chlorine - Before Or After SWG Operation?

Pvlax4

Mar 8, 2023
Las Vegas
New here!

I operate my SWG at night from 9pm-8am since power rates are a lot more expensive to run during the day. When testing my free chlorine, should I be testing it before my SWG starts, lets say 8pm. Or should I test it at 8:30 am after my SWG stops (sun is not hitting pool at this time)? I'm unsure if your free chlorine target number should be at the highest reading post SWG operation in the shade, or at the lowest reading, after the pool gets hit with all the daytime UV rays. Thanks!

Either is fine if you look at it accordingly. After production you need enough FC to swing per the recent daily loss. After the loss, you need to remain free and clear above minimum to allow for whatever extra loss the universe wants to throw at you.

I would measure before it runs so you know that you have not dipped too low during the day. As long as that stays within range then you can be assured that your morning FC is also high enough.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

The key is that just before the pump starts back up, your FC still needs to be in your CYA/FC target range. It does not really matter how high your FC is after the SWCG has shut off for the day, but it is very important that your FC never, ever drops below your target.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Donldson

Not even close to being true!!!

Please look at the above post...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Between min and SLAM is sanitary, and safe for humans/ equipment/ pool finishes
View attachment 522503
Either is fine if you look at it accordingly. After production you need enough FC to swing per the recent daily loss. After the loss, you need to remain free and clear above minimum to allow for whatever extra loss the universe wants to throw at you.
I would measure before it runs so you know that you have not dipped too low during the day. As long as that stays within range then you can be assured that your morning FC is also high enough.
This is why I love this forum! Learning every day. You make things too easy! Appreciate it again!

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.