Best time of day to generate chlorine

ScottJ

Bronze Supporter
Oct 26, 2014
Pearl River, Louisiana
Given the fact that I have been operating my pool for 12yrs with little problems, I feel a little silly asking this question but I have always wondered, is there a better time of day to have the single speed pump and SWG turn on?
I run my pump about 4.5 hrs per day and like to have it on while I am home which is usually early morning or late afternoon.
I currently have the pump set to turn on about 3:30PM so that the SWG will bring up chlorine after the sun has burned some off. This will keep sufficient chlorine for the night and until the sun comes up and starts burning off chlorine again. Am I over thinking??

Thanks

Yes, you are overthinking.

I like to generate CL during daylight to keep a constant FC level and replace what is being burned off. If you build up enough reserve in the FC bank you can generate late in the day. The TFP targets have enough cushion to lose a full day of FC and not run into trouble. So following targets in the FC/CYA Levels it doesn’t matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.