Best Robo-cleaner for under $700...

Splaker

Jan 17, 2016
Canada
Hey there folks,

I am looking for a good quality robo-filter. I've heard good things about the Dolphin.. Hayward too... but never owned one. What should I look for in terms of features? I don't want to break the bank... I'd like to keep it under $700, tax and delivery included. Obviously, I want a durable unit but simplicity is also appreciated... Thoughts?

Thanks

Most of the newer units from Dolphin, Hayward and Aquabot are very comparable. I'm sure someone else here has another brand/model that works well too.
Dolphin - Nautilus or Nautilus Plus (newer revision)
Aquabot - Breeze or Rapids
Hayward - SharkVac or AquaVac

These are just the models off the top of my head in that price range. If you add the details of your pool to your forum signature, that would help give better advice based on the size of your pool, surface, etc. Edit Signature

My next robot will have one thing for sure: a top loading filter. That's what I like least about my robot. Having to flip it over to remove and clean the filters. The filter latching is too involved with the cleaning intake integrity as well, which is just bad design if it can be avoided.

Since I am in Canada I may go with the Nautilus plus since they sell them up here and I don't have to worry about parts, returns, warranty, etc...

What the diff b/w the plus and the regular Nautilus?

The Nautilus plus is a newer model of the cleaner. The main feature, in my mind, is the top loading filters with the Nautilus Plus. The older Nautilus is a bottom load filter. They've changed something with the cleaning pattern/learning but don't know if that's an upgrade or not. There is a brief comparison on the amazon page where you can buy either. https://smile.amazon.com/Dolphin-99996403-PC-Nautilus-Robotic-Cleaner/dp/B00Q8M0NWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484656049&sr=8-1&keywords=dolphin%2Bnautilus%2Bplus&th=1

I'm not sure on the validity of the warranties when you buy robots online. Many times you have to buy them through a distributor (pool store) to get the full 2 year warranty to be valid.

Just did the dollar conversion. Our dollar is worth about .75 cents US. So it would cost me around $950 Cdn dollars. A bit more than I budgeted for. What about a quality cleaner that hooks up to a pools filter system? For instance, I have looked at this: https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Pool...&qid=1484658020&sr=8-4&keywords=pool+cleaners

This would be more like $500. How do these more traditional cleaners stack up against the robos? Can I set them up and let them clean without worry?

I am a new pool owner (we inherited the pool with the home a couple of years ago!) so I am revealing my greeness!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just did the dollar conversion. Our dollar is worth about .75 cents US. So it would cost me around $950 Cdn dollars. A bit more than I budgeted for. What about a quality cleaner that hooks up to a pools filter system? For instance, I have looked at this: https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Pool...&qid=1484658020&sr=8-4&keywords=pool+cleaners

This would be more like $500. How do these more traditional cleaners stack up against the robos? Can I set them up and let them clean without worry?

I am a new pool owner (we inherited the pool with the home a couple of years ago!) so I am revealing my greeness!

traditional cleaner is no match for a robot and you clean the filter and replace the filter. Not cheap. I love my smartpool nc74s. I don't know about the longetivity of it, but at 600 bucks its miles better than most cleaners.

The biggest advantage of robots, aside from them doing a better job in general, is that you do not have to run the pool pump to clean the pool. Only need to plug in the power supply and drop the robot in. Most people only need to run their pool pumps 4-6 hours per day and adding more time for that to run your cleaner costs more money in the long run to operate a pressure/suction cleaner versus a robot.

The biggest advantage of robots, aside from them doing a better job in general, is that you do not have to run the pool pump to clean the pool. Only need to plug in the power supply and drop the robot in. Most people only need to run their pool pumps 4-6 hours per day and adding more time for that to run your cleaner costs more money in the long run to operate a pressure/suction cleaner versus a robot.

Geez you folks only run your pumps every 4 to 6 hours?? Wow! I run mine form about 8 am to evening... usually 12 hours.. Guess I am doing it wrong!

The advice I got was that the pump should actually run when the sun is shinning and it's due to the way the sun reacts to and with chlorine. If pump is not on then the chlorine doesn't do its job while sun is shining strong - but please correct me if this is incorrect info.

Maybe I can run a couple hours in the morning, stop, run again for a bit in the early afternoon, stop then one more shot in the late afternoon... maybe keep it to 6 hours?

Leaves aren't a huge problem but bug are pretty bad here and if it's windy stuff ends up in the pool..

The advice I got was that the pump should actually run when the sun is shinning and it's due to the way the sun reacts to and with chlorine. If pump is not on then the chlorine doesn't do its job while sun is shining strong - but please correct me if this is incorrect info.

Maybe I can run a couple hours in the morning, stop, run again for a bit in the early afternoon, stop then one more shot in the late afternoon... maybe keep it to 6 hours?

Chlorine only needs to be distributed evenly through the pool and 4 hours of circulation per day is plenty for that purpose provided the pool has adequate circulation (# of jets, direction, flow). It doesn't matter when you circulate, day or night. Any additional circulation is usually for extra desired skimming when needed or to run an SWG for chlorination. It's a good idea to split up those hours as you mentioned.

^ Jvt beat me to it. Just be sure you're maintaining TFP levels for your CYA and the chlorine will do its job ;) With that said, I run longer because my site has constant forest debris. Terrace debris, etc. blowing in...but that's for filtration, not chlorination. With my up-sized swg cell I can easily produce the chlorine I need in 6 hours ;)

My understanding is that your rates in off peak are 8 cent/kwh and on peak 18 cent kwh...even if you ran 8 hrs, putting half those hours off-peak will make your run time cheaper than me in Michigan at a steady 14.7 cents a kwh ;) So while I know the new rates are a shock to YOU, know that your neighbors are already paying in that range...and we're cheap compared with Cali ;)

Thanks folks!

Can someone explain what TFP and SWG stands for ?

- - - Updated - - -

TFP - trouble free pool?

SWG?

- - - Updated - - -

So when you swim it doesn't necessarily need to be circulated?

- - - Updated - - -

the only thing is, as I think about it, the pool heater only works when pool pump is on.. so whenever I do it, it will need to coincide with water warmup! Last summer was hot but otherwise, we need our heater!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.