Best practices for constructing pool equipment housing in SW (Texas)

Cetanorak

Jun 13, 2022
Wimberley, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved into a new home in Texas, pool was built in 2016 and the equipment pad has been sitting exposed to full Texas weather and sun since construction. I am interested in erecting a housing structure to reduce pump noise and hide the equipment but need to take into consideration airflow and moisture release from the electric Pentair heat pump.

I was wondering if anybody could speak about best practices from their direct experiences and experiments regarding air flow and moisture concerns (I'll figure out aesthetics later).

Should a large portion of a structure be left open to air (on the sides so as to allow for sun shading from above) or should there be wrap around vents (should vent placement take into consideration both the intake path and exhaust path of the heat pump?).

IMG_1050.JPGIMG_1051.JPGIMG_1052.JPG

C,

You can hear the pump because you have a single speed pump. They not only use a lot of electricity, but they are very noisy. You should move up into this Century and replace it with a VS pump.. :mrgreen:

If this were my system, I would move the heat pump to the left a few feet and then build something over the rest of the equipment. It will have to be high enough and tall enough to walk in, so you can clean your filter and do other maintenance. I'd surround the equipment pad with pebble/rocks that would allow any excess water to just drain into the ground.

This is what I did..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Cetanorak
First, I would pour a proper concrete pad for the equipment. You can tell that those premade pads you have are already moving. Eventually a pipe will crack if the equipment shifts enough. Second, not sure if you have freezing temps where you are, but it if not, a simple enclosure like the one I posted will work to keep the direct sunlight off the equipment. I agree about the variable speed pump. It will safe a ton of money, not just a few bucks, plus it won't rattle your teeth like a single speed. I'm actually surprised they put a single speed pump in on new construction in 2016. By that time in CA, they had to be 2 spd or variable.

Attachments

• swimming-pool-equipment-enclosures.jpg
    swimming-pool-equipment-enclosures.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Cetanorak
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.