Best Pool Pump for homes with Solar Panels

TheDude26

Jul 22, 2020
Mission Viejo, CA
Hi TFP, my current 3HP Intelliflo is on its last leg, the thing is so loud and I need to replace it. I would like something quiet but don't really need the energy savings since I do have solar panels. What do folks on TFP recommend?

BTW, I got a quote for $1800 to replace a 3HP Intelliflo. Is that in line? I will get 1 more estimate since I have no idea what the hourly rates are for replacing pool equipment.

TIA!

You will most likely have to buy another VS pump no matter what you want. DOE regulation now prevent the manufacture of single and two speed pumps.

The Intelliflo is a good pump and worthy of a second purchase. The reason it got loud could be due to failing bearings which are usually caused by a bad pump seal (i.e. leak). It is a good idea to periodically inspect the pool pump for leaks to prevent damage.

$1800 to have someone replace the Intelliflo is not a bad price.

Reactions: TheDude26
You will most likely have to buy another VS pump no matter what you want. DOE regulation now prevent the manufacture of single and two speed pumps.

The Intelliflo is a good pump and worthy of a second purchase. The reason it got loud could be due to failing bearings which are usually caused by a bad pump seal (i.e. leak). It is a good idea to periodically inspect the pool pump for leaks to prevent damage.

$1800 to have someone replace the Intelliflo is not a bad price.
Thank you for the response. I feel better going with this option because of your posts. The pool guy doing the pump also wants to replace the joints around the pool and deck (cement caulking?). It's breaking and falling apart. He quoted me about $1100 for that type of work. I have a figure 8 pool about 20K gallons. Is that reasonable?

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude !!!!!! What up dog ????

The VS pumps are crazy quiet at low to moderate RPMs. At full throttle any pump sounds like a jet taking off.

The pumps are going for $1500-$1600 right now online. Most PBs / pool stores get a hefty profit above that, so if you are unable to DIY, $200 to $300 in labor is reasonably fair.

Are you capable at all with electric ? It's a fairly simple (30 min ?) project when the plumbing matches with the same pump. Maybe an hour if you don't have unions at the pad already. YouTube it and see if you could handle it. (y)

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude !!!!!! What up dog ????

The VS pumps are crazy quiet at low to moderate RPMs. At full throttle any pump sounds like a jet taking off.

The pumps are going for $1500-$1600 right now online. Most PBs / pool stores get a hefty profit above that, so if you are unable to DIY, $200 to $300 in labor is reasonably fair.

Are you capable at all with electric ? It's a fairly simple (30 min ?) project when the plumbing matches with the same pump. Maybe an hour if you don't have unions at the pad already. YouTube it and see if you could handle it. (y)

I used to be a DIY guy but these days, I prefer to pay someone who knows what they're doing. I didn't grow up around pools and bought a home with a pool so I don't feel confident doing something myself without someone experienced watching over me.

Reactions: Newdude
How old is your current IntelliFlo? Curious since I have the same pump. Mine is over six years old now and I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with the same pump.

The quote you received sounds pretty good. Ask your pool guy about the warranty. You should get an extended parts/labor warranty with a professional install. Make sure you follow up with registering your product/warranty. See Pentair Warranty Page for details. With the extended warranty, the install costs sounds like a good value.

I thought I was good with solar until SCE changed Time of Use plans. They took me off a grand-fathered TOU plan and stuck me with a current plan. I might end up having to pay this year based on the new plan pricing. I'll have a better idea in May.

How old is your current IntelliFlo? Curious since I have the same pump. Mine is over six years old now and I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with the same pump.

The quote you received sounds pretty good. Ask your pool guy about the warranty. You should get an extended parts/labor warranty with a professional install. Make sure you follow up with registering your product/warranty. See Pentair Warranty Page for details. With the extended warranty, the install costs sounds like a good value.

I thought I was good with solar until SCE changed Time of Use plans. They took me off a grand-fathered TOU plan and stuck me with a current plan. I might end up having to pay this year based on the new plan pricing. I'll have a better idea in May.
Not sure since it came with the house. Will check with the pool installer on the extended warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.