Best pool cleaner for heavier debris?

JoannaB

Oct 17, 2018
Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 years after my last post about my circa 2011 Polaris 280, it's finally going belly up on us. We've replaced parts as they fail but at this point we can't figure out the problem. The cleaner floats around the pool barely touching the bottom, at only 24 rpm. Takes about 8-10 hours to completely clean the pool if we're lucky. Maybe it's time for an upgrade? I keep hearing about the electric robots but wonder how well they can pick up pine needles and worms, and the occasional slug. The Polaris was able to pick up that stuff easily but I found it to be a hassle to use: difficult to attach and detach at pool wall; gets stuck in corners and on the stairs; sprays water all over my windows. So... recommendations please!

5 years after my last post about my circa 2011 Polaris 280, it's finally going belly up on us. We've replaced parts as they fail but at this point we can't figure out the problem. The cleaner floats around the pool barely touching the bottom, at only 24 rpm. Takes about 8-10 hours to completely clean the pool if we're lucky. Maybe it's time for an upgrade? I keep hearing about the electric robots but wonder how well they can pick up pine needles and worms, and the occasional slug. The Polaris was able to pick up that stuff easily but I found it to be a hassle to use: difficult to attach and detach at pool wall; gets stuck in corners and on the stairs; sprays water all over my windows. So... recommendations please!
If the Polaris is floating, that usually indicates a suction leak injecting air into the system that gets into the Polaris and especially the bag if it is a fine-mesh one. As to the water spraying, a Swasher sweep hose is the best option to stop that. I've had that on my 280 for over 4 years with no issues. Or, a Sweep Tail Pro attachment if the end of the sweep tail isn't too worn, but you have to keep replacing the foam cover or they don't work.

Also, make sure that the thrust-jet on the back of the Polaris isn't pointing upwards (which will lift the front), but straight out or slightly down. It can be adjusted left or right if the Polaris is not tracking in a straight line across the pool as it should. All turning of a Polaris like that is done when it climbs a wall or is moved by the backup valve.