Best place to buy a new filter?

400 is stupid big for you. And the smaller one was $600 *more*, so it's a no brainer across the board.

I really thought they had it because the 500 was showing unavailable. The 300 being so expensive is not a good sign. I bet when the other 2 return they are going to get a spike in price as well.

The plumbing guy was starting my equipment pad on my build yesterday and he said they just can't get Pentair stuffs at all.

They have no eta on new units.
Bummer DABs. :( As biased as I am towards Pentair and especially that Sta-Rite filter, I wouldn't blink to buy a big Jandy or Hayward filter if I needed one. It's a 'dumb device' that lasts years and years for all of the major brands, arguably even the generics. If my 2nd or 3rd choice lasted particularly long, it might even be my first choice 15 years from now.

If you have had it with the current small cartridge, I wouldn't blink buying that one. It's huge, and it works every bit as well as other cartridge filters. There are a million of them in service as we speak, chugging along without complaint.

Or. Wait until later in the season/ next year for things to improve in the supply chain. You are fortunate that you have a filter to get by, unlike the folks trying to build. But. You have already waited and everyone has their limits of patience.

Either way, you can't lose. (y)

I just swapped out my old DE 48 sq foot filter with this Aquastar. Easy to install and handles up to 35k gallons. It’s turnover rate is faster than the 520 sq ft filters. Check out some videos on YouTube about them. Very easy to remove and clean. I don’t know if I linked the website correctly but it’s called an Aquastar Pipeline filter. PLF 3500 $800 plus applicable taxes shipped. Replacement filters are $115 and made by Pleatco.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just swapped out my old DE 48 sq foot filter with this Aquastar. Easy to install and handles up to 35k gallons. It’s turnover rate is faster than the 520 sq ft filters. Check out some videos on YouTube about them. Very easy to remove and clean. I don’t know if I linked the website correctly but it’s called an Aquastar Pipeline filter. PLF 3500 $800 plus applicable taxes shipped. Replacement filters are $115 and made by Pleatco.

How long have you had it? How often do you have to clean it. That's 200 sq ft., which isn't much larger than I have now. I don't want to have to clean it once a month.

How long have you had it? How often do you have to clean it. That's 200 sq ft., which isn't much larger than I have now. I don't want to have to clean it once a month.
I think it’s 275 sq feet. I’ve had it installed for about a month with zero increase in pressure. I keep a filter sock in the skimmer. I think I will have to clean it 1-2 times per year. It’s so easy to remove the cartridge I can clean it in 10 minutes tops.

They have 2 models the larger is a 250 Sq foot filter. Cartridge is $115 and you only replace one not 4 like the larger filters. Check out the YouTube review and you will see how simple it is to remove the lid and clean it. It’s not a chore like the larger ones with the clamps that hate to sit right and seal properly.

I think I will have to clean it 1-2 times per year.
That's awesome Blues !!! Thanks for sharing the rec for not only DABs but all future readers in the same shoes. I just want to point out to DABs that his yard is different than yours. He is cleaning his 150 Sq ft cartridge frequently and going to less than double the filter will remove less than half of those cleanings for him.

That may be enough to make DABs happy. Just throwing his known workload out there for comparison. (y)

That's awesome Blues !!! Thanks for sharing the rec for not only DABs but all future readers in the same shoes. I just want to point out to DABs that his yard is different than yours. He is cleaning his 150 Sq ft cartridge frequently and going to less than double the filter will remove less than half of those cleanings for him.

That may be enough to make DABs happy. Just throwing his known workload out there for comparison. (y)
Sounds good. My thought was breaking down a large filter with 4 cartridges would take much longer than cleaning this one 2-3 times. I know everyone on here says the bigger the better. I liked the ease of cleaning on this unit as well as the safety aspect. It also looks like a droid from Star Wars haha

Sounds good. My thought was breaking down a large filter with 4 cartridges would take much longer than cleaning this one 2-3 times. I know everyone on here says the bigger the better. I liked the ease of cleaning on this unit as well as the safety aspect. It also looks like a droid from Star Wars haha
Technically, I have teenage boys to do the cleaning. :)

My thought was breaking down a large filter with 4 cartridges would take much longer than cleaning this one 2-3 times
By all means, do what is preferable for you. Our job is to give you the choices to make your best choice.

The bigger filter will take 15 mins more to clean on cleaning day start to finish. You will do it less often to erase the extra time and then some, but that won't help your thoughts about it on cleaning day. :ROFLMAO:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.