Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
My 4 year old MX-8 elite is having trouble with getting stuck, and making some clicking noises. I am guessing at a minimum it needs the two end drive boxes, but I will probably change the motor and bearings while I'm at it. After a filter cartridge cleaning, it used to come to the water line, now it barely goes up the walls. Lately its even been getting stuck on the drain covers and jamming with the smallest leaves. I leave it in year round and until now it has only needed treads once a season, so I cant complain.

I see parts all over amazon, with mixed reviews, and some parts on INYO. The prices are all over the place and I'm not sure whats genuine and whats knock off. It seems a lot of the amazon sellers are using stock photos and some reviews are saying they are getting different colored parts than pictured. I am thinking INYO is selling genuine parts since theyre mostly all double what I'm seeing on Amazon. I wanted to see if anyone here had experience sourcing these parts.

Also, I keep reading about putting washers on the end drive gears to get better engagement. Now I am curious as to whether the clicking is gears skipping teeth rather than a faulty drive mechanism. I am considering trying the washer trick before dumping 100-150 in parts into this cleaner. However the lack of speed and power lately makes me think it needs a complete rebuild.

I ended up ordering this. Seemed like the most complete kit with OEM parts. A lot of the questionable kits on Amazon did not include the motor bearings.

EDIT - I guess TFP censors ebay links but I got a genuine Zodiac MX-8 tune up kit for 160 shipped. It had everything: side a and b drive boxes, motor, bearings and tracks. The bearings were noticeably smoother than the old ones. I took apart the old drive boxes and other than a little gear wear I couldn't find anything wrong with them. In any case the cleaner is like new now.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.