Best Outdoor UV Fabric Protector?

Jul 2, 2012
Central MS
When I first bought my house, I bought 8 cheap fiberglass chaise lounges. I found that was way too many - and they didn’t last more than a handful of seasons before they broke or got dirty past the point of no return.

So I tossed them out and ordered 4 fancier rattan lounges with cushions. These were definitely pricier so I want them to last. I’ve always heard about how fast the color on the cushions fade after exposure to sun, rain, pool chlorine, etc. I came across Scotch-guard’s Water and Sunshield protector, with mixed reviews. I was going to check here before I ordered anything.

Has anyone tried this Scotch-guard protector - if so, what were the results? Or can anyone recommend another product??

Thanks!!

I’ve used scotch guard before, it’s, ok at best. Depending on where you live, (please update your location in your profile) the sun can be brutal. In all honesty, the best way to protect, is to buy cheap furniture covers, and keep them covered when not in use. :cheers:

I have used the aerosol sprays from scotch guard and others like is sold in the camping section of WalMart. I cant say they really help for fading, used it mainly on umbrellas and they still faded. Works to repel water better than fade. I installed 8 roll up shades for our house deck and pool deck shelter made by coolaroo, they stop the UV rays, bright sun in your eyes and they have also not faded themselves after 3 years, and also made a PVC box for pool pump with them as a cover. The spray itself will not give you the good results your after.

I’ve used scotch guard before, it’s, ok at best. Depending on where you live, (please update your location in your profile) the sun can be brutal. In all honesty, the best way to protect, is to buy cheap furniture covers, and keep them covered when not in use. :cheers:

Location updated :) - It's central Mississippi, so we get a good bit of sun. But yeah - I was planning on buying covers and taking them inside when not in use.

And I've used the 303 spray on my Jeep...it's phenomenal since most of the thing is plastic. I know they also make different kinds of sprays for fabrics and etc... but haven't used them.

I try to stick with Sunbrella fabric on cushions and umbrellas. I've had custom cushions made about 7 years ago and they still look good.

Maddie :flower:

Same here. Sunbrella fabric just seems to last. I have a sunbrella umbrella and a regular umbrella (Walmart at half the price). The cheap regular umbrella has almost faded completely out after 1 year. The sunbrella is going on 2 years and looks like the day we bought it. Realize that we are in Florida in direct sun outside 365 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.