Best choice of on-hand equipment for pool winterizing?

Hilton

In The Industry
Jun 15, 2010
Last year, I blew out a 170,000L pool (10' deep at main drain) using the exhaust of a Ridgid 6HP shop vac. I wasn't totally confident in it, especially since I re-used old duck plugs, a type of plug I'm not fond of to begin with, but luckily no issues seem to have come of it, there was no notable water loss this year. Regardless, it's not a risk I want to repeat, so I'm looking for a better (low-cost) option.

Last year, I sucked the skimmers out one at a time using the main pump, then blew them out with the shop vac for surety (which, aside from sending a lid 6' in the air because I forgot to pull one off, sent a massive additional spray out of the skimmer). Each skimmer line got 3L of anti-freeze, with the last litre in the skimmer itself after the plug went in (to mix with any water that might get in through the winter).
I blew out the main drain until mass air was coming through, then air-locked it by closing the valve.
Pool was filled to about 6" below the skimmers.

This year the pool is drained down below the returns, going to blow out and use threaded plugs (and an expansion plug on one return where the threads are pooched), then fill back up.

Besides the shop vac, my alternative available equipment is
- A small 4-gallon air compressor (not enough continuous CFM) with a 20-gallon pig tank (not enough reserve air?).
- A 2700cfm carpet fan that I could adapt the outflow on.
- An extracted furnace blower that I could adapt. :ROFLMAO:

Are any of these a better idea than the shop vac?

The carpet fan would work. My leaf blower is 1000cfm and it obliterates any water in the pipe.

I had a brand new blower with the tags still on it last year so i used the shop vac instead. I was really impressed with how well it did. It couldn't get out the water in the vertical section of pipe but thats only a gallon or 3 and antifreeze took care of that.

Reactions: cowboycasey
That will be PLENTY. My shop vac is probably in the double digits but its all about the continuous CFM of air once it reaches 5 psi (i think that was the #)

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.