Best 1hp pump?

Copperhead

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 29, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Well the good news is it is winter so I can take a couple days to get a new pump in.

In ground pool. Currently has a 1hp Hayward. Looking for a basic single speed or dual speed pump. What's the best for durability, and do any vendors on the site have good pricing? Will ship to my shop, commercial address 85210.

Thanks

What is the model of pump you currently have?

Also, I notice you have an in-floor cleaner. Is the current pump sufficient for the cleaner?

Copper,

If that's your original pump, it's done pretty well I'd just replace it. I have Jandy equipment and I'm happy with it. Hayward seems to have a pretty good reputation though. Just curious, why are you replacing it? Unless the body is cracked you can rebuild for a lot less $. Also, keep in mind some communities have restrictions that require a 2-speed pump. Seems like a pretty dumb idea to me but you may want to check. Mine came with 2-speed but slow speed doesn't have enough discharge pressure to go through the solar heater on the roof. So I replaced the motor recently with a single speed... pretty cheap ($159).

Chris

Copper,

If that's your original pump, it's done pretty well I'd just replace it. I have Jandy equipment and I'm happy with it. Hayward seems to have a pretty good reputation though. Just curious, why are you replacing it? Unless the body is cracked you can rebuild for a lot less $. Also, keep in mind some communities have restrictions that require a 2-speed pump. Seems like a pretty dumb idea to me but you may want to check. Mine came with 2-speed but slow speed doesn't have enough discharge pressure to go through the solar heater on the roof. So I replaced the motor recently with a single speed... pretty cheap ($159).

Chris

I have a Hayward now. It does need a couple parts but the main wear comes from the sun destroying the plastic body of the pump. Unrelated to the UV damage, it just started squealing. Arizona "accidentally" put into law the variable speed only requirement in 2012 that was copy and pasted from California law as they were trying to outlaw fluorescent and incandescent lighting. Unfortunately the unscrupulous pool builder used this as an opportunity to void the lifetime warranty that they promised on their pools, and actually started a campaign of calling all their pool owners and threatening to "turn them in to the State" if they did not agree to have their pumps replaced at a a cost of $3000.00 !!!! Unbelievably they got away with this, but the law was amended so that you can purchase and use a single speed pump in Arizona, but licensed contractors cannot install single speed pumps on new pools only. However, the builder still will not honor the original warranty on the pool so I am now on my own.
I do have in floor cleaners that work great now.
I am deciding between Hayward or Pentair new 1 hp in ground pool pump, or as you say just exchanging a rebuilt motor and replacing the worn pump parts.
New is about $360 shipped, rebuild everything is just under $200.00
Need to know if the new pumps are really better with power consumption and flow rates, or if the advertised improved efficiency is marginal.

The builder installed a pump that didn't meet code and they used it as a reason to void the warranty and then tried to blackmail the owner's into buying a new pump?

That's ridiculous.

First of all, the warranty would not be affected.

Second, the installer would be responsible for the pump, not the homeowner. It's not something a homeowner is going to get in trouble for.

If the pump was installed before the rule change, it would not need to be replaced.

A new pump would need to meet code.

Copper,

Wow, that was quite a builder! So I get it the pump body is deteriorating. As far as your question goes I don' think there's going to be a big improvement if you run at the same speed and horsepower in a single speed motor. Before I added my solar heater the 2-speed pump was definitely cheaper to run when I ran the slow speed.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

The builder installed a pump that didn't meet code and they used it as a reason to void the warranty and then tried to blackmail the owner's into buying a new pump?

That's ridiculous.

First of all, the warranty would not be affected.

Second, the installer would be responsible for the pump, not the homeowner. It's not something a homeowner is going to get in trouble for.

If the pump was installed before the rule change, it would not need to be replaced.

A new pump would need to meet code.

Pool built 2004.
Pump replaced once under warranty 2011.
Law goes into effect 2012.
Law amended 2016.
Contractor cannot install single speed pump, but homeowner can...
Pool builder conveniently does not even offer an exchange / rebuild service out of their stores.
However there are other retail pool stores that do indeed rebuild and sell single speed pumps.

Pool built 2004.
Pump replaced once under warranty 2011.
Law goes into effect 2012.
Law amended 2016.
Contractor cannot install single speed pump, but homeowner can...
Pool builder conveniently does not even offer an exchange / rebuild service out of their stores.
However there are other retail pool stores that do indeed rebuild and sell single speed pumps.

Copper,

So sounds like you've got a pool builder that doesn't realize a dissatisfied customer will tell 10 people bad things about him. A satisfied customer will only tell 3 but it's still free advertising.

You can do the pump rebuild yourself and just get the motor rebuilt at a motor shop. A motor rebuild can usually be done for about 50% of new cost but if you want to switch to one-speed and install it yourself you can easily do this for under $200. If I were you I'd switch to one-speed and buy a new motor. Seal and o-rings are about $35 more.

Back to your original question on brand, I really don't see much difference between the brands unless you're going to spring for a variable speed... much more $ and outside my value envelope.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.