Benefits Of a Larger Skimmer?

7jx7

Apr 28, 2022
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I'm scaling back from a full renovation of my
16 x 32 concrete pool to just a new liner, track and potentially skimmer this season. The skimmer that's in there now is the original when pool was built (attached). I'm just wondering what the actual benefit of a larger skimmer basket and mouth would be? To me, the sand filter is doing the work, so I'm not sure what the benefit of adding a larger skimmer is. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220502_123953.jpg
    20220502_123953.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 17
The biggest issue with that skimmer is that it is missing the weir door. Skimmers do not skim as well without the weir door.

As for larger, it may work better with smoother transitions from the pool wall into the throat of the skimmer. A sharp transition like that can create eddies which could prevent even flow into the skimmer.

Reactions: 7jx7
Thanks. I appreciate it. Seems that I wouldn't gain much real-world benefit from the larger skimmer......but I do need to put in an aftermarket weir door. Anyone have any suggestions? The inner width is about 6 1/2 inches.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.