what went into your IPA??

I make a pretty basic IPA. Around 8 lbs of Golden light LME and DME. Then Warrior, Columbus, Centennial and Amarillo (10, 45, 55) hops. CA ale yeast.

These 2 batches started fermentation really quickly. Yesterday when I got up they were already going at it. They are still going at it this morning but I think fermentation will be just about done by Christmas. I love making beer in the Winter you can actually get cold water out of the faucet. This makes my wort chiller work way better. It takes not even 10 minutes to go from boiling down to 75 so I can pitch the yeast. In the summer I am lucky to get to 85 after 1/2 an hour.

I'll keg it all this weekend and force carb at 30-40psi so it is drinkable by New Year's eve. I've got 2 more batches to make next week. Another Stout (this one will condition in the keg for 4-6 months) and a Belgian Wit that I make into a Blue Moon clone.

The place I get my ingredients screwed up my order and then kind of screwed up the re-order. Bottom line I ended up making a Stout from all DME and probably 8lbs of that. I usually use 6lbs of LME and maybe 1lb of DME. I think this beer is pretty high gravity as I finished it yesterday and today it is already blowing off out the air-lock. I have never had a beer do this! I just hope it calms down by the end of the day so I can clean it up.

The place I get my ingredients screwed up my order and then kind of screwed up the re-order. Bottom line I ended up making a Stout from all DME and probably 8lbs of that. I usually use 6lbs of LME and maybe 1lb of DME. I think this beer is pretty high gravity as I finished it yesterday and today it is already blowing off out the air-lock. I have never had a beer do this! I just hope it calms down by the end of the day so I can clean it up.

You need a blow-off tube to a pitcher of water/sanitizer instead of an airlock

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.