Been Lurking, Going to Try, Wish Me Luck!

Wow, You had a heck of a FC drop in a day. I'm sure that little to no CYA is the culprit there. (So go ahead and add the stabilizer as planned).

All your other numbers look pretty good over all.

I think once you get your CYA up to at least 40ppm, so your chlorine holds, then adjust your FC up to the Slam/Shock level for that CYA, and maintain it there until all 3 criteria for OCLT is achieved you should be in really good shape level wise, and any algae should be dead in there :) . I hope this helps. Have a nice night. :)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm in the 10 - 15 range today... lots of Erika supplied rain, with enough stabilizer to add 20, so I'll target for 30. so FC of 12.

Going to add Acid to bring down to 7.2-7.4... personal preference, and with the spillover spa, pH definitely drifts up. Will let water circulate for 90 min - 2 hrs, then re-test, then re-test again in the morning.

Sounds good. Yes the 12 is correct for the 30 ppm CYA, But if the CYA isn't in there yet, and registering in there yet, if you aren't swimming that is fine to raise to that level now, and probably would be anyway regardless.

But since you and the family ARE planning on getting in this weekend, you might want to keep the FC down a little lower, closer to the 10ppm for what you know is in there at the moment just as a Safety precaution. Then raise the number up after everyone gets done swimming, and won't be in for a day or so, or as the CYA level rises you can increase your FC accordingly.

The rule is: It is safe to swim with the FC level, Up To the Shock Level for your Current CYA, anything beyond that I can't assure you of. So IMO it's better to be safe than sorry, Always.

I hope this helps, and have a nice night. :)

Sounds good. Yeah, I agree another drop is very likely going to happen so you might want to give it a couple extra ppm in there, so it won't drop below your Shock level for your current CYA, until the CYA you're adding gets in there to help hold it better.

If you want to you can check the FC and CC levels tonight, and check OCLT in the AM to see if you want to. (Be sure and use the 25ml water sample for OCLT).

I agree it shouldn't be too far away at all. Although your CC yesterday was 1.5, today it was only .5, so it could go either way.

If you'd prefer you can give it another day, or so just to ensure it's all killed out, or if you check OCLT, and it doesn't pass, then you'll know you need to continue for another day, or so. Either way will be fine. Have a nice night. :)

EDIT: If you do test and pass OCLT your FC levels then change to the MIN and TARGET ranges for your current CYA level which are even lower. (After completing SLAM you won't using the higher SHOCK LEVEL ranges).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For the CYA test, it's at level when the dot is totally invisible (top the of cylinder), not when it starts to go fuzzy, right?

(A Filter Sock with Stabilizer is floating in the pool since last night. Shook it this morning, asking the wife to do so throughout the day.

Ah...the CYA test. I HATE this test. But yes, the dot should just disappear. Be sure to mix the R-0013 and your pool water for 30 seconds.

However, it can take a few days before the results show up in the test. CYA likes to take its time dissolving and distributing itself throughout your water.

Yeah I read that. I figure I'll leave this be for a few days, test end of next week and get more if need be. I presume I'll get a better price on this at Walmart than a Pool Store? But I do need to refill my chlorine jugs next week.

The SLAM took a LOT of chlorine, especially without a test kit and nearly no CYA.

At least in MY area, about the only thing cheaper at the pool store is muriatic acid. It seems the big box stores all carry 14.5% MA. Pool store has the 31.45% stuff and the cost is 1/3 the big box stores comparing $/%-oz. Big box is about 32 cents/%-oz and pool store is around 19 cents/%-oz.

Sounds great Alex,
I'm so glad to hear the chlorine is holding some even with the low CYA.

As Agent 99 said, the CYA test should be read when the dot completely disappears. Our Walmart here hasn't been carrying the big jugs of stabilizer this year, they just carry the smaller spa size :(. Your WM might, but ours hasn't been.

I've been getting mine at Lowe's, it is the STEP 1 Clorox Brand (It says Clorox Pool and Spa Chlorine Stabilizer on the jug). a 4 pound container is I think like $15.95. I've had no issues with it registering and adjusting me to the anticipated level. I hope this helps. Have a nice day. You're doing Great :)

Okay, I'll check the big box store. In the past I felt the quid pro quo of them testing was buying those "fixes" from them... Thinks like tablets that didn't require testing I bought at Costco/Walmart.

Now that I'm testing, I'll happily be a chlorine only customer and the occasional hose and gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no, Alex, are you saying what I think you're saying? Have you too now been Converted to the TFP way of pool care? You'll be a much happier pool owner, and it will cost you a lot less $$$ along the way if that is the case. It's definitely a whole new world when you can independently maintain your own pool, know where the levels are, know how much of something needs to be added, and Why. Just a little Knowledge=A lot of Independence, and new found Freedom. :) Have a nice day.

I've been taking care of my own pool. I just figured they were using decent testing stuff (TF100 caliber), and the home ones (sold there or Walmart) were junk... I remember my dad trying to use them.

Now that I have a kit, no reason to try to get there at inconvenient hours with a recent sample. Huge difference between running to pool store at lunch time or a quick afternoon break and needing to get there within an hour in the morning, when they don't open early. The kit is way more convenient, at a relatively reasonable cost.

All good! Thanks for the help! You guys rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.