Been lurking, finally getting off the Trichlor sauce.....

TexasCyaBattler

Apr 19, 2022
Aujstin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So my cya even after a winter of only using powedered shock was still at over 100ppm. I use the taylor 2006-c kit. Everything else is fine other than the random odd battle with mustard algae. It seems my chlorinator is also putting weay too much water through it and never completely shuts off when closed. So now is the time to get off the tablets.

I am currently refilling my pool from a 50% drain. So my questions are these:

1. With liquid chlorine from the pool store hitting 38.99 for 4 gallons, what is the best exonomical way to chlorinate the pool? With a 15,000 gallon pool how long will a gallon of liquid chlorine last me?

2. So from the pool school it seems I will be testing daily for chlorine and ph, and adding chlorine daily? This is just the required amount to dial in to the amount of FC I need correct, not shocking? What is SLAM I keep seeing referenced (I will search the forums in a minute).

3. Would using up my remaining tablets be ok for adding some stabilizer if it gets low?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome!
1. Many people are moving towards saltwater generators (SWG) which reduce your dependency on LC but they have also increased in price and can cost anywhere from $1500 - $2000 plus install if you don't DIY. How long a gallon lasts depends on your FC demand. In peak summer, a gallon lasts me 3-4 days but I'm not in the Texas sun.
2. Yes, you will add LC every day. It's like a pet - feed your pet daily; feed your pool daily. By doing this, we generally don't "shock" our pools - we maintain a required daily FC level. SLAM is the methodology of clearing algae by raising FC to a level based on your CYA, then testing and adding FC multiple times a day to keep FC at the SLAM level to kill the algae. It doesn't happen overnight and requires following the procedures without trying to shortcut it. You can read more here
3. Yes, You can use tablets if your CYA needs a boost or while you are on vacation or away for a few days if your CYA is low enough.

So my cya even after a winter of only using powedered shock was still at over 100ppm. I use the taylor 2006-c kit. Everything else is fine other than the random odd battle with mustard algae. It seems my chlorinator is also putting weay too much water through it and never completely shuts off when closed. So now is the time to get off the tablets.

I am currently refilling my pool from a 50% drain. So my questions are these:

1. With liquid chlorine from the pool store hitting 38.99 for 4 gallons, what is the best exonomical way to chlorinate the pool? With a 15,000 gallon pool how long will a gallon of liquid chlorine last me?

2. So from the pool school it seems I will be testing daily for chlorine and ph, and adding chlorine daily? This is just the required amount to dial in to the amount of FC I need correct, not shocking? What is SLAM I keep seeing referenced (I will search the forums in a minute).

3. Would using up my remaining tablets be ok for adding some stabilizer if it gets low?

Thanks in advance.
For reference, with us having similar sized pools and locations, basically May-August i added 1 gallon of chlorine Every. Single. Day. I did that for 4 years.......but I never ever had algae. i just installed a SWCG this winter and so far LOVVVVVVE it. Chlorine prices have skyrocketed and the generator made much more economical since.

With liquid chlorine from the pool store hitting 38.99 for 4 gallons, what is the best exonomical way to chlorinate the pool?
Looks like Home Depot in Austin Texas has chlorine for the same price I pay for it in SC. $17.98 for four gallons. I have a salt water pool myself and it’s well worth it! I only usually have to buy the liquid chlorine when I open my pool.

Welcome to TFP :)

I would not buy liquid chlorine from the pool store, they have it priced the same or more than solid chlorine as that is what they want you to buy...

Reactions: TexasCyaBattler
For reference, with us having similar sized pools and locations, basically May-August i added 1 gallon of chlorine Every. Single. Day. I did that for 4 years.......but I never ever had algae. i just installed a SWCG this winter and so far LOVVVVVVE it. Chlorine prices have skyrocketed and the generator made much more economical since.
What is your chlorine loss in the summer and what kind of settings are you running on your swcg? I am not to far from you and an about to have my first summer so i am trying to get prepared.

What is your chlorine loss in the summer and what kind of settings are you running on your swcg? I am not to far from you and an about to have my first summer so i am trying to get prepared.
Generally 4 FC loss a day. I have FULL sun from 8am-6pm. My SWCG is oversized, so Im only running it at 20-30% with pump on 24/7. That generates 4 FC @20% and 6 FC @ 30%. Ill dial in in better has the heat increases.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Hi and welcome!
1. Many people are moving towards saltwater generators (SWG) which reduce your dependency on LC but they have also increased in price and can cost anywhere from $1500 - $2000 plus install if you don't DIY. How long a gallon lasts depends on your FC demand. In peak summer, a gallon lasts me 3-4 days but I'm not in the Texas sun.
2. Yes, you will add LC every day. It's like a pet - feed your pet daily; feed your pool daily. By doing this, we generally don't "shock" our pools - we maintain a required daily FC level. SLAM is the methodology of clearing algae by raising FC to a level based on your CYA, then testing and adding FC multiple times a day to keep FC at the SLAM level to kill the algae. It doesn't happen overnight and requires following the procedures without trying to shortcut it. You can read more here
3. Yes, You can use tablets if your CYA needs a boost or while you are on vacation or away for a few days if your CYA is low enough.
Thanks for the info. My pool lies on the west side of the house and is 1/2 shaded in the late faternoon by a 50 ft cedar elm tree. So maybe 5-6hours a day direct sun from 12:30 - 18:30.

I didn't see the stock levels of the Home Depot suggestion, but I do see it at $4 a gallon for 10% at Walmart.

I don't think I will go the SWG just yet, I am a work from home software engineer so a daily test and pour wont be too much to handle. Stoarge wise does the chlorine need to be kept indoors? Or just bought weekly?

Welcome to TFP :)

I would not buy liquid chlorine from the pool store, they have it priced the same or more than solid chlorine as that is what they want you to buy...
Thanks, I am definitely seeing eveyrthing for cheaper than at the pool store.....what a racket. Even muriatic acid at Home Depot is 1/2 the price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.