Be careful with pucks

BobbyR

Jun 1, 2013
Toronto, Ont
We went away for 10 days so I left the pool running with a load of pucks in the chlorinator. I set it to about the middle point and hoped for the best. On our return the pucks were about 3/4 gone and the pool had algae. CYA had risen to almost 60 from my usual 40. The pucks really drove up my CYA without even providing the sanitation required in warm weather. Had to drain off about a foot of water to get it back to normal. Pucks aren't useless but if you are away for more than a few days they're not far from it. 3 day SLAMM and everything is back to normal. Message here is to be very wary of pucks. They seem like an easy solution but they lead directly to cloudy water and slimy walls. if I wasn't so used to pristine water I may not have actually noticed the algae bloom until it was much worse. I think many people using pucks really don't know what clean water actually looks like.

You speak words of truth and wisdom
Unfortunately most people using pucks, have no interest in learning how the chemistry of the water works
And there remain in the herd of people that just believe what the pool store says!
Until they have a problem the pool store can't solve
Then and only then do they come to TFP and find the light
I try to help my friends, they think I am the crazy one
Yet when they see my pool, the first thing they say is
Wow! Your water is crystal clear! When did you shock it last! I always answer, never!
I manage my pool daily
They have no clue, it's sad

I SO hear you! I used them when my hubby had his total knee replacement at the beginning of the summer. The first thing I noticed was there was NO sparkle to my water. It was flat looking and trying to get cloudy. I knew I was on the way to seeing algae. A good brushing or 5 and with SLAM levels of FC for a couple days and the sparkle was back :sun:

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.