Champaign, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello smart people! We do not have a BBQ island in our budget but would like to add one in the next year. We will likely buy something 6 or 7 feet long with a gas grill, counter space +/- a mini fridge. Our pool is being built this spring.

Is the mini fridge worth it? We currently just bring out coolers.

The closest electrical outlet to where the BBQ island will go is probably 20 feet. Should I have them place an outlet while they are doing the work for the pool? How exact does the electrical outlet need to be, we aren’t sure which barbecue island we want but i’ll pick something we can DIY so nothing fancy.

You will find a mini fridge so much more convenient. However, for best performance, it should be in the shade, whether that is in a cabinet structure on under your patio. Electricians are good at running wiring almost anywhere so pick an area that you have targeted for your BBQ island. Obviously, you can run electrical later. Personally, I like to wait until I have 2 or 3 things I need done by an electrician then call them rather than for a single job. You may want to delay because once the pool is in and you have patio set up you may find you want an exterior light or a fan or whatever so you could make your list and keep it until you decide with the BBQ island.
BTW did you decide to get an robot as a cleaner. If so that will need a GFCI outlet as well.

Reactions: Dogmom1
For those that have kitchen islands in their backyard, is there anything that you wish you had done differently? What length for the island would be an ideal space to set aside?

1. Have lots of electrical outlets. We have about 13 outlets and we still run out of places to plug in.
2. Think about speakers and pre run wire in conduit.
3. Run ethernet cable or find a place for AP's.
4. Think about placement for 70 inch or larger TV. We watch a lot of football and movies while we are in the pool.
5. Get the largest barbeque bar you can afford. Ours hold seating for 7 and many times we have more people.
6. Think about future cooking vessels and where you will place them. We have added a griddle (A must have IMHO). Smoker, air fryer, induction burner.
Look at the threads in my sig bar for ideas.
Post lots of pics of your summer kitchen :cheers:

x2 on going as large as you can, but with the emphasis on seating space. That may or may not be addressed with your island, but more so with patio/decking space. We have something similar to what you described in your initial post and it has served us well. We added a circular bar area at the end, but other than that, it is just a grill area. Even though we have electricity on the grill area, we ended up with a drop in stainless steel cooler instead of a refrigerator, which I love. We also used a separate contractor for the grill, as our pool contractor was just too expensive. We had the pool contractor pour the foundation when pouring the patio. See below. Good luck!
A2D0C180-22EA-4225-9B4A-408A65AD291F.jpeg

I like all the various seating areas. I can see at least 3 different groups of people congregating and having fun 🤩

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.