BBQ Grill Island build

I will keep y'all posted for sure! Haven't had much progress since I was out of town for work. I was talked in to tearing out those indian hawthorne's under the window,
and will be extending the patio (again) to accomodate more bar stool room. I recently ordered a double-drawer unit for some built-in storage. I also plan to cover the bottom with hardie board, and set it on Trex (or similiar) skids.

Something I need to consider is water drainage on counter tops. The entire patio slopes towards the pool, and now so does the island. I'll need to add drains of some sort
so the water won't collect on that outer leg of the 'L'. Any ideas?

Made some more progress yesterday. Removed the pressure treated wood base and replaced with Trex 'feet'. I also covered the bottom with cement board and built the bar ledge. I'm planning on a 14" wide ledge and about 7" or so will be cantilevered off the support frame.

Attachments

• BBQ 012sm.JPG
    BBQ 012sm.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 395
Since you can go around the post, have you considered extending the bar/counter to meet the post? You could put a fridge in that space under the counter. Have it open either into the bar or open out to the pool area.

^4knights...the fridge is going under the covered patio section of the "L" to keep it out of the weather.

Made some progress. Framed the support for the bar ledge. I also cut out and framed the section for the fridge and fit the drawers too. I also added some reinforcement in a few spots. Next step is to frame out the double-doors and the grill itself! Have a plumber lined up for the week of 4/15/13 to run the natural gas line for me.

Attachments

• BBQ 020.jpg
    BBQ 020.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 363
  • BBQ 024sm.JPG
    BBQ 024sm.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 367
Got the grill and doors framed in yesterday! I also added 2 strips of Trex that run the entire length of the tracks under the grill. Plumber is coming tomorrow morning to run the gas line, then I'll run the electric.

FYI before you build....I somehow didn't make the counters deep enough to accommodate the grill lid being open all the way and clearing the back splash. I thought I only needed 4", but it looks like I'm 1/2" or so short of that. I may be able to shim the grill forward a bit with the cement board to correct.

Attachments

• BBQ 030sm.JPG
    BBQ 030sm.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 343
  • BBQ 028sm.JPG
    BBQ 028sm.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 343
Looking good. Sorry to hear about the 1/2" too short behind the grill. You will probably need even more once you sheet the back and then add whatever backspash you are going to have. You could either disassemble and then kick that wall out or it might be easier to just create another track with the same studs that duplicate the existing wall. The latter is probably the route I would go. Shouldn't be too bad. Good luck.

riles

I was suggesting that maybe you could just create another wall exactly like the one that the grill sits on, with the exact same cutouts for the door and grill and just attach it to the existing wall. In other words everything there would be doubled up. Just put a little piece of trex under the new wall and then you should be able to move your grill out 3 inches or what width studs you are using. Just a thought.

riles

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks good. Just curious though if you want to continue that new wall until it intersects the other leg of the L on one side and all the way to the raised bar on the other. Then when you sheet it you will not even know there was mixup and there wouldn't be a bump out on that wall. There may be a good reason for not doing it full width but it is a little difficult to tell from the pics.

Riles

Riles_J said:
Just curious though if you want to continue that new wall until it intersects the other leg of the L

Riles, I chose to just extend the grill section so I wouldn't lose that 2.5" off my path between the L and the brick pillar.

See this pic:
file.php

It's been awhile since I posted an update. Another sub-project (#3 or 4 now!) was completed along the way (extended slab again under the window). Electric has been run and made 'hot'. I am ready for countertops and will then be covering it with a stone veneer.

Attachments

• BBQ 041sm.JPG
    BBQ 041sm.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 222
  • BBQ 043sm.JPG
    BBQ 043sm.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 220
Nice work there! I just purchased the same grill. Was a little nervous as there were not too many reviews, but it seems built very well, and lifetime warranty. Have you used it much yet?

Still in planning stages for my island. Thanks for documenting and sharing your build!
Chris

H20ENG said:
Nice work there! I just purchased the same grill. Was a little nervous as there were not too many reviews, but it seems built very well, and lifetime warranty. Have you used it much yet?

Thanks! I have the used the grill and am very happy with it. A friend has a 'Bull', and we think it's the exact same grill with a different badge on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.