BBQ Grill Island build

Granite countertops were installed yesterday. They look great! (pictures aren't very good though)

Backsplash is next, and my veneer stone came in today too. :cheers:

Attachments

• BBQ granite 015sm.JPG
    BBQ granite 015sm.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 374
  • BBQ granite 013sm.JPG
    BBQ granite 013sm.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 363
sammm, that granite looks great! Quick question how wide are the bar tops and whats the depth on the granite counters? Are your granite counters same depth as a typical indoor kitchen counter?

Thanks

phoenixtx said:
sammm, that granite looks great! Quick question how wide are the bar tops and whats the depth on the granite counters? Are your granite counters same depth as a typical indoor kitchen counter?

Thanks

Thanks! The bars tops are 18" wide with a 2" overhang on the inside (will be a bit less once I get my backsplash on there). I originally was going to go with 14" bars, but those 4" make a big difference for knee room. The counters are 29" deep which are bigger than standard. When calculating your countertop depth, don't forget to factor in the extra depth the grill needs when the lid is opened up all the way. BTDT!

More progress to report. I finished the backsplash this past weekend. I decided to contract out the stone work, and they prepped it today and will install the stone on Monday. The stone will be 'dry stacked', that's why I wanted such a dark background.

It's getting close to completion (finally)!

Attachments

• BBQ 048sm.JPG
    BBQ 048sm.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 300
  • BBQ 051sm.JPG
    BBQ 051sm.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 300
  • BBQ 053sm.JPG
    BBQ 053sm.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 297
What kind of stone are you having installed? I am a couple steps behind you, and seem to hear differing opinions if I need to paper, lathe, and scratch coat for a putting stone veneer on to cement board. I am leaning to the "better safe than sorry" camp and putting it all on.

I love your countertops, I am trying to find a place that has the larger 18" granite tiles to do this myself, instead of ordering up a custom set of countertops. That would blow my budget completely out of the water. I also chose the exact same outlet covers and have narrowed down my backsplash to the same glass tiles you chose.

Skipdaddy,
You're right that it's better safe than sorry...you may be able to get away without it, but I would still do lath and scratch coat (wouldn't bother with paper). If you were attaching the stone to concrete block it would be fine, but cement board is still awfully smooth.

Any tile place should have granite tiles, but they're likely to be 16", not 18. How will you do the edges?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SkipDaddy said:
What kind of stone are you having installed? I am a couple steps behind you, and seem to hear differing opinions if I need to paper, lathe, and scratch coat for a putting stone veneer on to cement board. I am leaning to the "better safe than sorry" camp and putting it all on.

I went with Veneerstone (http://www.veneerstone.biz/) from my local HD, and it's made here in the DFW area as well. It was installed by an experienced stone mason, and he put the tar paper on first, covered with metal lathe and then a scratch coat. They just finished up late yesterday evening, so I'll try to post up some pics after work today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.