BBB results

Alright, did the hose in the sand deal, used a long handle tool to make sure nothing was gunking up the impeller, brushed the whole pool and left the pool at 20.5 FC, 0 CC, 7.3 pH. Pool brush about 5% visible at max depth of 9 feet. Filter shows 19 psi. Pool about 84 degrees. Hoping for any improvement by tomorrow.

Dieter said:
Alright, did the hose in the sand deal, used a long handle tool to make sure nothing was gunking up the impeller, brushed the whole pool and left the pool at 20.5 FC, 0 CC, 7.3 pH. Pool brush about 5% visible at max depth of 9 feet. Filter shows 19 psi. Pool about 84 degrees. Hoping for any improvement by tomorrow.
:goodjob: You did all that! I'm tired!

What is the clean filter psi?

Did the hose in the filter trick for an additional 25 minutes (the hose pressure from the well spigot I was using yesterday was low, so ran an extension off a better one today). There was a LOT of filmy gunk and pine needles here and there coming out the first 15 minutes. By the end it was relatively clear. Vacuumed the pool. Brushed the pool. Pool lost less than 1 ppm overnight, had less than .5 CC, drain still completely obscured at 9 ft. I'm runnin out of r0871 using this many drops twice a day!

Again last night, lost less than 1 ppm FC overnight, no CC measured, water no different. Is there anything being indicated by the fact that it consistently doesn't lose FC overnight and never shows any CC but doesn't clear at all?

Any additional thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
How many days have you passed the OCLT except for the clear part?

Every day since I've had the TF100, which I think has been 7 or 8 nights. One day during the CC portion of the test it turned just the tiniest bit pink but immediately cleared after 1 drop of r0871.

Have you resettled the sand in the filter? (sorry if I missed that on another page.)
Have you tried adding some DE to your filter?
If you have, it might be time to try some clarifier. If you've been at it for a week, the first thing to do is make sure your filter is working correctly and the last thing to try is clarifier.

I kind of think you might have reached the point that a double dose of clarifier is called for. We don't normally recommend it because it's often just used to mask a symptom rather than fix the cause, but in certain cases, for example when there is no underlying chemical cause for the problem, it can be a good step.

I've been in a similar situation to yours a couple of times and clarifier made about an 80% improvement in 24 hours with crystal clear just a few days out. May be worth it.

I did resettle the sand in the filter but have not yet added DE.

However, I added full bottle of clarifier, and I'll be darned if I didn't just see the drain for the first time in over a week. Got in the pool, played diver and saw that sand had clumped on the floor in various areas of the pool. Not a ton, but still enough to say decisively it wasn't just dirt. Vac'd all that up and it does look a bit clearer. I'd say a 5-10% improvement. 95% to go! I've never seen sand come out of a return.

So I must have missed that the T100 was a new addition. Do you know if it was THOROUGHLY backflused after adding the sand? We did a 5 minute backflush on mine before ever starting it up, and I think that's proper procedure.

RobbieH said:
So I must have missed that the T100 was a new addition. Do you know if it was THOROUGHLY backflused after adding the sand? We did a 5 minute backflush on mine before ever starting it up, and I think that's proper procedure.

Yeah, usually I stick to ~3 minutes but I gave it a 5 minute one with a 30 second rinse.

JohnT said:
I kind of think you might have reached the point that a double dose of clarifier is called for. We don't normally recommend it because it's often just used to mask a symptom rather than fix the cause, but in certain cases, for example when there is no underlying chemical cause for the problem, it can be a good step.

I've been in a similar situation to yours a couple of times and clarifier made about an 80% improvement in 24 hours with crystal clear just a few days out. May be worth it.

Man, you were definitely right. It's still what I would consider cloudy, but I can actually see the bottom of the pool. Went back out and did another round of vacuuming of more stuff of the floor and I could see the vac head the whole time. Before the Polaris 360 was barely a shadow down there. I added a quart of Leslie's Pool ultra bright. Hopefully a night worth of circulating will clear it up even more. Might go for one more bottle tomorrow and see if that helps.

I was hoping something beyond continual shock levels would provide some help. It's a lot of work keeping FC at 20 in a 50,000 gallon pool for two weeks! :shock:

Bama Rambler said:
Thanks, I'm keeping a log of clarifiers and whether they work or not.

I'd say it's 80% cleared up as of this morning. SWEET.

It clearly needed to be shocked, but the clarifier definitely made all the hanging junk fall to the bottom. Looks nasty now that I can see it. Will vac to waste shortly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.