BBB and chlorine health

versstef1 said:
Two things. 1. How do you determine "actual PPM" for a given FC/CYA ratio? I tested my tap water last night and it had about 2-3 PPM, which seems really high. According to the county water test report, this is supposed to be around 1 PPM. Either way, how do I get the equivalent number for my pool?

This sounds like a question for chem geek, as he often references "equivalent FC" when comparing stabilized vs. non-stabilized pools. What you're asking about is the active hypochlorous acid ion in the water, which is dependent on CYA and pH. I think it's more of a theoretical calculation than something you can actually measure. Why do you ask, and why are you concerned about it?

If it makes you feel better, 10 ppm unstabilized is the equivalent of 1/10th of an ounce or plain laundry bleach in a 5 gallon bucket of water. This would be "less safe" than your pool, because none of it is bound up to CYA.

versstef1 said:
Two things. 1. How do you determine "actual PPM" for a given FC/CYA ratio? I tested my tap water last night and it had about 2-3 PPM, which seems really high. According to the county water test report, this is supposed to be around 1 PPM. Either way, how do I get the equivalent number for my pool?

if you use a 25 ml sample with a FAS-DPD test kit, the values are by 0.2. Most use a 10 ml sample and values are by 0.5. This is the test that uses a powder which turns the sample pink followed by a reagent. You count drops until the water turns clear. You then either multiply by 0.2 or 0.5 depending on the sample size you used.

Is that what you are asking?

I mean, it's certainly not as healthy as an alpine mountain stream
A properly sanitized pool is likely much healthier than a mountain stream. Why, bears and even deer wade in those stream in their BARE FEET! Ughhh!

And the fish....there's just no end to the activities they do in there :shock: :shock:

aa62579 said:
versstef1 said:

if you use a 25 ml sample with a FAS-DPD test kit, the values are by 0.2. Most use a 10 ml sample and values are by 0.5. This is the test that uses a powder which turns the sample pink followed by a reagent. You count drops until the water turns clear. You then either multiply by 0.2 or 0.5 depending on the sample size you used.

Is that what you are asking?

no... I know how to get FC. I was wondering about the effective FC, taking into account the CYA....

duraleigh said:
I mean, it's certainly not as healthy as an alpine mountain stream
A properly sanitized pool is likely much healthier than a mountain stream. Why, bears and even deer wade in those stream in their BARE FEET! Ughhh!

And the fish....there's just no end to the activities they do in there :shock: :shock:

There's nothing like a day long trout fishing trip in the mountains, up up up the stream you go. Wadding all day long, cooling off in the pristine water. Catching trout cooking them for lunch, cleaning them in the pristine water. And then, at the end of your hike in, as the stream had gotten so small there are no more fish, you come across a dead deer smack in the middle of said stream....

versstef1 said:

2. Not sure I can make this distinction really well, but the question we still have is this: Just because the chlorine is "bound up" in the CYA, that doesn't mean it's not in the water, right? So there would still be absorption of it into the skin at all times, regardless of what the "active" or "actual" FC level might be? And what about the stabilizer itself, couldn't that in theory be considered a harmful chemical in its own right? This is regardless of felt or smelled impressions - it's still in the water, no and thus in the skin, no?

It's not like we will stop swimming, but understanding this does seem to make a difference in whether we consider the pool something hazardous that should at least be minimized or something entirely benign that can be enjoyed for hours on end. I mean, it's certainly not as healthy as an alpine mountain stream, so where does it fall on the health hazard scale?
There is no CYA in tap water so the FC that you measure is all unbound. The portion of it that is active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) from a disinfection point of view is a function of pH where it's about half at a 7.5 pH. From an oxidizing point of view, both hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite ion participate in those reactions; which one participates depends on the chemical it is reacting with. The 2012 Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC) Water Quality Report shows chlorine ranging from 0.20 to 2.09 with an average of 1.04. When you say "2-3 PPM" it sounds like you aren't using a FAS-DPD chlorine test kit where you would be able to measure within 0.2 ppm using a 25 ml sample. If you are using test strips, then your measurements are not likely to be accurate.

The active chlorine level for your pool can be roughly estimated by the FC/CYA ratio (technical derivation of why this works is in this post). The minimum FC for the CYA level in the Chlorine / CYA Chart is around 7.5% so the active chlorine level is roughly equivalent to water with an FC of 0.075 with no CYA (the actual number for FC equivalence is temperature dependent varying from 0.062 at 77ºF to 0.161 at 90ºF). This is over 10 times lower in active chlorine level than even 1 ppm FC tap water. The rate of oxidation of swimsuits, skin and hair will be 10 times slower as a result.

The reactivity of chlorine bound to CYA is essentially negligible for the CYA levels we recommend (i.e. 80 ppm or lower) since it's roughly 200 times slower to disinfect and oxidize. Even accounting for there being more chlorine bound to the CYA, it still works out as something we can ignore. With an FC of 5 ppm with CYA of 50 ppm, for example, the unbound chlorine is like 5/50 = 0.1 while the bound chlorine is like 5/200 = 0.025. The chlorine bound to CYA as well as CYA itself has essentially no dermal absorption (the dominant species is negatively charged and the neutral species are relatively bulky compared to normally transported small ions and molecules -- see this link and this PDF file showing absorption at 5 µg/kg/day).

The primary hazards from chlorine are in the irritating disinfection by-products in the short-term such as nitrogen trichloride that can be inhaled and with disinfection by-products with long-term potential consequences for cancer such as the brominated trihalomethanes (THMs) that are both absorbed through the skin and inhaled. Because of the low active chlorine level, the rate of disinfection by-product production is lower on skin while in the bulk water its rates depends on the buildup of chemicals to oxidize that form THMs which is relatively low due to low bather load. For nitrogen trichloride, the low active chlorine level, the low bather load, outdoor air circulation, and sunlight all keep that chemical to a minimum. Generally speaking, only the indoor high bather-load (typically commercial/public) pools have significant issues with disinfection by-product control, though outdoor high bather-load commercial/public pools would be second in those issues.

During a discussion I had in another forum in response to someone saying chlorine was toxic, chlorine was poison, etc., I was reviewing the hundreds of scientific peer-reviewed papers in respected journals that I had downloaded (and for many, had to pay for) and wanted to summarize them which is, of course, hard to do. I did find the Environmental Health Criteria 216 "Disinfectants and Disinfectant By-Products" document from the World Health Organization (WHO) from 2000 (updated somewhat in 2004) and thought it would be helpful to quote it's summary info below.

Epidemiological studies have not identified an increased risk of cardiovascular disease associated with chlorinated or chloraminated drinking-water. Studies of other disinfectants have not been conducted.
The epidemiological evidence is insufficient to support a causal relationship between bladder cancer and long-term exposure to chlorinated drinking-water,THMs, chloroform or other THM species. The epidemiological evidence is inconclusive and equivocal for an association between colon cancer and long-term exposure to chlorinated drinking-water, THMs, chloroform or other THM species. The information is insufficient to allow an evaluation of the observed risks for rectal cancer and risks for other cancers observed in single analytical studies.
Studies have considered exposures to chlorinated drinking-water, THMs or THM species and various adverse outcomes of pregnancy. A scientific panel recently convened by the US Environmental Protection Agency reviewed the epidemiological studies and concluded that the results of currently published studies do not provide convincing evidence that chlorinated water or THMs cause adverse pregnancy outcomes.
Now if one looks at the details in the long document, one will find individual epidemiology studies showing links to a variety of cancers and that is what many pseudo-science websites selling products such as water filters or alternative disinfectants all show. However, if you look at the details, you find that nearly every study that shows a correlation has another study that shows no correlation and for many that do show something, the odds ratios are low and all are less than 2 meaning doubled risk. When this sort of mixture of studies happens and where odds ratios are fairly low, it often means that there are confounding variables people aren't taking into account. For example, if you find a correlation of lower cancer risk with people drinking well water compared to chlorinated municipal water, it may be due to well water being in rural areas where more people work on farms or doing heavier labor for more exercise compared to people in cities/suburbs. Unless the study explicitly looks for exercise or physical labor as a variable, they will falsely attribute cancer risk to chlorinated water rather than the lower level of exercise.

The point I'm making is not, by the way, that chlorine disinfection by-products are harmless, but rather that their risk at the levels found especially in low bather-load residential pools is very low. As for alpine mountain streams, if an animal has relieved themselves upstream, I sure as heck wouldn't want to drink that water. All drinking water you buy, including that bottled from alpine mountain streams, is disinfected. See this CDC link for a sample of pathogens that may be found in untreated water.

Thank you chem geek. I truly appreciate the detailed answer and will do some more reading on this issue. For me, mainly the goal is to relieve my wife of her fears so she'll say in the pool with me longer!! Maybe showing her this thread will help. (She's the one who's asking all the detailed questions, by the way.) As for the test, I only quickly tested with the OTO last night, comparing bottled water, tap water, tap water filtered. The filter really does remove the chlorine, which I like removed even just for taste reasons. I'm just not very skilled on the OTO color reading yet. I could do the FAS-DPD, but this was really just a quick check out of curiosity. Again, thank you - the most important sentence here is this one: "The chlorine bound to CYA as well as CYA itself has essentially no dermal absorption." That's great news!

Regarding dermal absorption specifically, you can read parts of the Guidance Document on Dermal Absorption that the EU wrote regarding pesticide risk assessments. Section 2 in that document gives a nice relatively short overview of the subject. Also take a look at section 2 in the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) Guidance on Dermal Absorption. Note how most water soluble (hydrophilic) chemicals get blocked by the dead stratum corneum though eventual removal of sebum staying in water for a long time reduces this effect while the highly fat soluble (lipophilic) compounds penetrate deeper and get blocked by the living epidermis. So the primary substances that get more readily absorbed through the skin into the vascular system are the smaller neutral molecules that are both water and fat soluble but not highly so. That's why the trihalomethanes have greater skin absorption.

As for cyanuric acid itself, it has toxicity (lethal dose where 50% of subjects die, LD50) on the order of ordinary table salt and the No Observed Adverse Effect Limit (NOAEL) is 150 mg/kg/day so a 60 kg (132 pound) person would have to drink 90 liters of 100 ppm CYA pool water per day to reach the limit above which first symptoms might be seen. Read the report I linked to in my earlier post. Of all the substances in pool water to think about, CYA isn't one to be worry about.

Chlorine itself has a similar toxicity and adverse effect profile. Hypochlorous acid is highly water soluble, is very polar, and even looks a lot like water so it tends to get blocked by the dead skin cell layer. It is also highly reactive so it not only doesn't penetrate through the lipid layers, it tends to react with the nitrogenous compounds in dead skin and stop there. It's the same reason that chlorine isn't very effective against biofilms, because it reacts too quickly so gets mired in the outermost layers of the biofilm. It's why a more slowly reactive monochloramine or chlorine dioxide is able to penetrate more deeply and be more effective against biofilms (of course, the easiest way to prevent biofilms is to kill the bacteria BEFORE they can form them, which is what chlorine does quite effectively).

So as I mentioned before, the primary chemicals of health concern are some of the disinfection by-products of chlorine reacting with ammonia and some organics. Keeping the active chlorine level as low as possible helps minimize the amount of these by-products and is also a lot less disruptive to swimsuits, skin and hair. Your chlorinated tap water you shower/bathe in is far more harsh than the swimming pool in the short-term while in the long-term the pool is probably somewhat higher in disinfection by-products than the drinking water. I've had measurements made of THMs in my own pool and found that to be the case, though such levels were higher in my pool due to keeping it covered most of the time (these chemicals are volatile, so aeration helps to reduce them). Even so, the levels of the brominated THMs were at a level representing less than 1 in 50,000 increased cancer risk for a lifetime of exposure and that's with the usual factor of 100 margin of exposure the EPA uses for their risk assessments. That's a level that can be overcome by a smidgen more exercise or an ever so slightly healthier diet. If you were a competitive swimmer in indoor chlorinated pools with no CYA, then I'd want to see extra measures taken to minimize disinfection by-products and would be far more concerned, but outdoor low bather-load residential pools are an entirely different and far safer situation.

this year i put up our first pool a 18 foot soft sided intex and i knew absolutely nothing about pools, before i put it up i found this site and read pool school probably a dozen times if not more learning the ways of the BBB method, how to shock your pool etc.... i roam around all the threads reading about other peoples issues learning everything i can so if it happens to me i know how to react to the issue at hand. but anyway what i really wanted to say is my wife is very ocd about cleanliness and she spends 4 or 5 hours a day in our pool with our grandbabies with no problems my pool is sparkly clean and my water is balanced i add roughly 32 ounces of bleach a day and i get a 96 ounce jug for 99 cents which lasts me roughly 3 days, a beautiful sparkly pool for 33 cents a day where are you gonna beat that? these people on here are very knowledgable about pools and i would never second guess anything they say if they say the BBB method is safe then it is safe, i think you maybe a little paranoid but just come on in the water is great.....thanks again TFP.........Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.