Battle of the Solar Skimmers: Ariel vs Betta 2 Bake off!!!

Well the Betta2 went back today. The Ariel went back in the pool. I used to think the Ariel was loud. But compared to how those motors sounded on the Betta is almost silent.

Let’s hope they fix everything and send it back with the new SE motors. It will also be useless but nice to have both LED working.
Funny, Ariel's 1 and 2 for me were silent, Ariel #3 was crazy loud, Ariel #4 is silent. Beta SE #1 silent, so far still working. With these things you're just waiting to look in the pool at a dead skimmer. :)

• Sad
Reactions: Newdude
I just discovered a new flaw with the Ariel. The basket design is not awesome. It has a tendency to slide forward and then dump its contents back in the pool. There are two metal clips that hold it in place that you have bend up to make sure it stays in place. Once I did that it seems to be doing a better job.

Although the Ariel is prettier. It’s still all nice and not faded. The Betta had started discoloring.

Change of plans for me. I was almost ready to buy a Betta.
But Solar Breeze offered my a new model 2023 Ariel when I wrote and compared my Ariel with NX2.
(NX2 battery lasts longer, 2023 Ariel is somewhat improved.)
So, Betta will have to wait.

Betta battery lasts 24 hours if you have sun (and sometimes when you don't). But always good to try the newer models if they exchange it for you! The basket on Betta is 500x better!

Reactions: ride525
My 3 month old beta se (Blue) is already showing clear fading/discoloring as well - but still functioning flawlessly 🤞
I have a blue betta with the blue blinking lights. Can’t keep up with the models since I returned my first one so often and they sent me a new one after they returned my original one without the bottom attached! Anyway, this one has faded much more quickly than my first but still chugging along with a very noisy left propeller/motor. I decided to let it die before sending it back because the water looks so fabulous with it running. But it is now blue on top and white on bottom!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Solar Breeze is slow to respond, but when they do, they do a good job. I suspect they have an overwhelming amount of claims.

The biggest issue with the Ariel is that it can't stay out in downpours, seems to leak and short out the main chip. That's just stupid really, for a machine made to run in a pool. Owners typically place these in the pool and allow them to run continuously, who's sitting around waiting for rain? Anyhow. as I mentioned before, we're on Ariel #4, it's new and stored in the basement. Been running the Beta SE for the past month, numerous tropical downpours in NH (really unusual), and it's still working like a charm.

Ha! More to my saga. Excellent journaling of your experience @Surf NH!

Things that happened to me similar to you: When my water level is high after rains, I have had issues with any pool robot getting stuck under coping etc but now my pool water is adjusted to a good height and the Ariel can run right along the edge of my pool (and does!).
The ONLY regular problem I have with the Ariel now is that it gets stuck on the floating hose for my suction-side Pool Cleaner. I have tried weights on the hose and plastic blocks on the Ariel. I can't use weights to sink the hose entirely because it eventually will run along the pool floor and then the suction cleaner can run over its own hose, which is not great. The Ariel mostly runs over the hose, but if it straddles it, the hose can damage the rear paddle wheels and that's what eventually has happened. One of the rear paddles got loosened and it now "clunks" against the body of the robot and is noisy, inefficient, and slows down the robot quite a bit. They offered to replace it with a Skimbot as a warranty repair.

First, I want to say their warranty service is amazing and always has been. I have had Solar-breeze products for years now. I probably had the first one around 2012, then the NX, then the NX2, then the Ariel, then the Ariel 2023. Sometimes I had warranty replacements. Sometimes the robots were serviceable and I am handy so they sent me parts and I replaced gears etc when they stripped.

None of the robots were perfect. Some lost power too fast or didn't hold it. Some stripped gears over time. Some get stuck for a few hours or even a day. None of these work when the sun is blotted out from wildfires etc. All in all though, my pool is MUCH cleaner than it would be without a robot and I barely every skim it. My pool maintenance in California summers has been distilled down to adding a little acid every 5-7 days. The robot is a big part of this simplification.

Solar-Breeze did include a description of the following improvements of the Ariel 2023 in an email to me selling me on a replacement when my original Ariel was out of warranty. I have found ALL of the claims that I can verify (1 and 3) to be accurate:
We have made the following upgrades and improvements for the 2023 model:
  1. Improved the design and efficiency of the electrical and power management system to ensure the unit charges more rapidly and runs longer on a full charge.
  2. We also redesigned the way that motors are sealed and installed to further reduce the chance of water intrusion, improving the overall reliability of the unit.
  3. We have also made improvements to the software that further enhance sensitivity to obstructions thus improving the overall navigation of the unit.
(Please note--I promise I don't work for Solar-Breeze. I just love their service, products, improvements over the years. There is currently a sale on both Skimbot and Ariel 2023 for $100 off a discounted price with the code "surprise")

Now I have the Skimbot to compare with as well. It is really different. Smaller, faster, very quiet. Has an app you can adjust a schedule with, which is great for battery conservation. It also has sensors above and below the water surface and works much better with a floating vacuum hose, which is why it was recommended to me. I love how it turns at the pool wall or other obstacles but also occasionally goes right up against the pool wall and maneuvers to break surface tension. There is no scum at my water line any more. (It MOVE just fine in the breeze by the way. The problem is that the front paddle wheel gets jammed.)

HOWEVER: My neighbor has a silk tree. When we have a stiff breeze in the summer, it's fluffy blooms fall on the pool in rafts. The Skimbot chokes on these rafts. It can pick up individual flowers and debris but chokes on the floating rafts. I put in ANOTHER call to Solar-breeze and they are sending me a new Ariel to replace the replacement Skimbot for my broken Ariel. This is amazing service. They are excellent at building goodwill.

With the discount, I may just pay for the replacement Ariel and keep the Skimbot too. @Surf NH --you might want to check out the Skimbot, which may work better in your pool.

Linda
i've had some experience with both skimmers......our pool is rectangular, 50' x 18' gunite with coping around the edge, and stairs on the side. Here's what I've seen:

Ariel #1 purchased when new pool opened late July, 2021. It worked like a charm, ran until we closed the pool down early October 2021. Upon startup May 2022, it ran until roughly mid-June, then it would only run in direct sunlight. As soon as a cloud showed up or no direct sun, the paddles couldn't decide which way to go. Solar Breeze felt the circuit board got wet, they replaced it under warranty, no problem.
Ariel #2 received and started up on June 20, 2022. Worked fine until roughly mid-August, at which point it started doing some strange things with the wheel rotations....changing direction in middle of the pool, etc. By early September, it was totally dead. After contact with Solar Breeze, they gave me a deal to purchase another, and offered a decent price on a one year warranty.
Ariel #3 received late September 2022, we didn't use it until we started the pool in early May 2023. It worked roughly two months and then started going in circles, the paddles couldn't decide which way to go. This unit was replaced under warranty.
Ariel #4 received last week, tried it out for an hour, it looks fine.....but we're storing it.
In the meantime, Beta SE #1 purchased late June after Ariel #3 died.....we've been using it a month, so far so good. We paid an extra I think $40 for an extended warranty.....based on experience with the Ariel.

Observations:
The Ariel sensors are located on the front edges, and our pool has cantilevered coping. The skimmer runs into the concrete coping all the time, hitting directly on the sensors. By the third unit, they gave us plastic blocks to glue onto the front to eliminate this contact, but they did't work. We immediately told Solar Breeze this, and they sent us a second pair of plastic blocks.....so we had them on both sides of each sensor, at 90 degree angles, trying to shield the sensors. This helped but didn't work perfectly.....and the unit died in a little over one month.
They sent the newest Ariel #4 with two sets of plastic blocks. Based on our previous experience, we glued the blocks on at the far end of the blocks, such that they stick out maximum amount. When we tried the skimmer with this type of block mount, it seems like it blocked the sensors from getting hit. Basically those mounts need to be maximum length from the unit, as far as you can possible glue it on the end.
None of our Ariels would work more than 3-4 hours into the night. Maybe when we got the first one it lasted overnight, for like a week??....can't remember.
The fourth Ariel is a 2023 model, and I've read claims that it's improved....we shall see, now it's our backup for when the Beta SE dies. :) I asked Solar Breeze what's changed, but they haven't answered.
Both the Ariel and Beta utilize a front rotating paddle to bring debris into the basket. The paddle seems to send out a small wave in front of each device, pushing debris away from the basket. In the end, both units collect a ton of debris and keep the pool surface spotless, but this rotating paddle idea doesn't look right to me.
The Beta sensors are located away from the edges, they never hit the pool coping.
The Beta corner bumpers are two small wheels, looks like a much better idea than the solid rubber type bumper on the Ariel.....the wheels tend to help the unit turn if it hits the coping.
Neither unit has grounded on a step in our pool, our first step must be deeper.
The Beta consistently lasts the night, we wake up and it's still going strong first thing in the morning before the sun hits it.
The basket mounts are different, but honestly they're both fine, just slightly different mount idea.

Basically in the end, when they work, both units work fine in my opinion. I'm happy with either one. It's a bummer the Ariel kept failing, but I have to believe they've gotten inundated with returns and you would think they would fix the issue. For now, we'll keep the Beta going the rest of the summer, and if it dies, we'll switch back to the 2023 version of the Ariel!

The biggest issue with the Ariel is that it can't stay out in downpours, seems to leak and short out the main chip. That's just stupid really, for a machine made to run in a pool.
FYI they addressed this with the newer 2023 model. Mine was out in some serious storms in California this year.

6 days since emailing Solar-breeze regarding warranty issues and no response. Any suggestions on how to get their attention? Maybe file a claim with the BBB. This thing was too expensive to have it just sitting on the pool deck.
The manual has a contact phone number.
Call and leave a message. They are usually very responsive but weren’t for a short while a couple of weeks ago (I was contacting them same time as you). I was told that they had been dealing with an unforeseen tragedy. They’re probably catching up now.

I'm glad that you have had amazing customer service. I and many others have had just the opposite (look at the recent reviews on Amazon). I belive the issue with water getting in and destroying some electronics is what has happened to mine. I am going on 2 weeks with no resolution from them. If they continue with this terrible customer service, they won't be in business very long.

I'm glad that you have had amazing customer service. I and many others have had just the opposite (look at the recent reviews on Amazon). I belive the issue with water getting in and destroying some electronics is what has happened to mine. I am going on 2 weeks with no resolution from them. If they continue with this terrible customer service, they won't be in business very long.
You’re right. I’m hoping the recent issues with CS are temporary. Calling seems to work better. The number is in the manual. I was persistent and they did get on the ball after a delay.

I also want to say they appear to have addressed the leaking with the 2023 model. They never should have released a version with this vulnerability.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.