Battle of the Solar Skimmers: Ariel vs Betta 2 Bake off!!!

well, i've had my betta2 for couple weeks & couldn't be more satisfied with its performance. it's everything ariel should have been. the only times i'll use ariel again will be on excessive wind events along with betta or if betta breaks down.

Reactions: Orion7319
Ok, so apparently 3D scanning is not so easy. After a bunch of research it seems like Polycam is probably the best app. Scandy is also one that is recommended. I did manage to get a scan of the post yesterday but it needs a lot of cleanup. So apparently I need to get a program called Blender to do that.

All my zip tie based hacks on the legs fell apart.

I am also pretty much finished the evaluations and will post results soon. Life got in the way so I have not notified the vendors, but may do so after I post my conclusions.

No the Ariel is better than the NX2. The only thing it does worse is battery life. NX2 had all day and night battery life while the Ariel has about 2-3 hours of battery power when the sun is not shining.

In everything else the Ariel is superior.
I must respectfully but completely disagree with your assessment- the Ariel is a huge step back from the NX2. My NX2 went dead early this summer (the dreaded steady red status light). I contacted Solar and was told they are no longer servicing the NX2 or offering parts. So basically, I had no other option but to "upgrade" to the Ariel, which I did. From the moment it hit the water, it was obvious that the new robot was not ready for prime time. There was the obvious battery issue that others have mentioned- it stopped within an hour of sunset and wouldn't even run during the day unless there was full sun.
I also found that the new float design causes the front end to ride too low in the water, creating a significant forward wake. The result was that most debris ended up being pushed off to the side rather than sucked up. Placing a couple of hockey pucks on the back to lift the front helped a bit, but the pucks slide around and partially block the solar panels, so I would need to find a better rear weighting solution.
Lastly, I was really looking forward to the new proximity sensors as they would (hopefully) mean fewer stripped gears. However, the sensors prevent unit from riding the wall where most debris collects- something the NX2 did very well.
I finally got fed up and purchased a "repair or parts" NX2 on eBay. Got a nice deal since the gears were stripped, but it sounded like the electronics were good. Sure enough, I swapped the motors and had a working NX2 again. I then decided to find out if the NX2 really is better, so I placed them both in the pool and let them battle it out for 3 days. The results speak for themselves:
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 10.52.07 AM.png

The only problem is that I know the gears on the NX2 will eventually strip, so I'm going to have to find an alternate source for replacements. As far as the Ariel, going to return the it and wait until they work out the kinks.

Reactions: Sanford35000
Differing opinions are welcome on this thread. In my case (other than battery life) the Ariel out performed the NX2. However, my pool is fairly unique with 12 corners. The NX2 did not manage those well at all, and its constant crashing into those corners did quick work to the gears. On a free form pool, I can see how the NX2 might perform better.

I am also experiencing the wake issue on the Ariel. The Betta has it too, but to a much lesser degree. It does not seem to impede its ability to trap particulates.

Having owned the Beta 2 for a month, my only complaint is it seems to back up too much. I think it's looking for sun, since my pool is 50-75% shaded for 4 or 5 hours and 100% shade the rest of the time. But still runs to well after midnight, and sometimes it's running at 6am! The issue with backing up, it will sometimes lose some of its catch (but not much). It's noisier going backwards too.

Differing opinions are welcome on this thread. In my case (other than battery life) the Ariel out performed the NX2. However, my pool is fairly unique with 12 corners. The NX2 did not manage those well at all, and its constant crashing into those corners did quick work to the gears. On a free form pool, I can see how the NX2 might perform better.

I am also experiencing the wake issue on the Ariel. The Betta has it too, but to a much lesser degree. It does not seem to impede its ability to trap particulates.
Ah- I have the exact opposite- free form with lots of contours and no corners- the NX2 really enjoys riding the perimeter. I can see where corners could benefit from the sensors. The battery though really kills it for me- I don't know how they missed this during testing unless they only tested it in Arizona. Seems like they could kill 2 fowl with one ball-peen hammer if they just install a larger capacity battery- the additional weight would help bring the front end up. Doesn't sound like there's any plan to do so- at least for the current units out there. My guess is we'll see a new version next season, though unless they offer a pretty significant upgrade discount, Ariel owners may grab the torches and pitchforks.

Reactions: Sanford35000
The battery is a huge miss. And even in Arizona at the summer solstice it wont run all night. At one point I was told that there would be recall to replace the batteries, but that was about a year ago and I have not heard anything since. Supply chain and all, it is probably unlikely.

Reactions: MyAZPool
So for the first time this morning the Betta was flashing red. It was not particularly overcast yesterday so something to watch over the next few days.

I also find that it is getting beached on my steps much more than the Ariel. I have tried a few different water levels. I will reach out to Vivian today and Betta and see if we can come up with something.

I can't tell from the pictures, are there screens on the baskets? I am considering one to supplement my hayward aquavac 650, specifically for fine debris on the water surface. Leaves are not an issue for me.

I can't tell from the pictures, are there screens on the baskets? I am considering one to supplement my hayward aquavac 650, specifically for fine debris on the water surface. Leaves are not an issue for me.
Yes it has a very fine mesh screen in the basket.

Reactions: mbUofL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone's Betta2 seem noisier that it was a month or two ago? Almost sounds like a motor is about to go, but keeps on doing the job! The red props are now almost faded to white. I keep finding it amazing what it picks up overnight. I think nothing is falling from trees because wind isn't blowing, but still ends up with bunches of "stuff" in the basket.

Reactions: Bam Bam
Mine is still running fine no noise that I have noticed
Props are still red
It’s in the water running 24/7 unless the bot is in

Anyone's Betta2 seem noisier that it was a month or two ago? Almost sounds like a motor is about to go, but keeps on doing the job! The red props are now almost faded to white. I keep finding it amazing what it picks up overnight. I think nothing is falling from trees because wind isn't blowing, but still ends up with bunches of "stuff" in the basket.
My props are faded. Any red plastic usually fades rather severely from UV. If yours is nosy check the prop shafts for debris.

I'm about to purchase the betta 2......any reason I should reconsider?

-Walt
The beta 2s so far seem pretty reliable. The original ones were not, and broke down all the time and had to be sent back under warranty. I went though 3 in a year. The beta 2 is my 4th one and so far so good, knock on wood. Still it’s smart to buy the 3 year warranty with it. Some people report that they get caught on their stairs. I have a vinyl pool with the typical white steps, and have not run into any issues. If yours does this you will know right away and can send it back.

So it is worth mentioning the stairs thing again. On my Betta the front rides much higher than the back. So when the pool starts getting low I use the rear stair blockers. This will keep it from getting stuck. When the pool is very low, I use all four blockers. When the pool level is very high I use no blockers.

Its a workable solution, but annoying. Other than that the Betta performs pretty well.

If I could love a robot it would be Betta! BUT like others have said reliability is an issue. HOWEVER so far customer service has been good, not as exceptional as I read in other earlier posts. My Betta (not 2) ran for 9 months without any problems. It took it’s long surface roundtrip pilgrimage back to the manufacturer for repair. I asked what the problem was and was just told they updated it. Whatever!

I plunked it into the 91 degree pool yesterday and it’s been running ever since, as it should! It’s back to its sibling antics fighting with the polaris tube and wall connector. And it so wants to get jammed into the skimmer but I’ve rigged up a blocking defense. Robot peace is achieved by raising the water level. I’m waiting for a few storms today before dumping some change into the water meter.

If Betta survives through fall and early winter leaf-ageddon I will be thrilled.

My only conundrum at the moment is whether to keep the box and packing Betta was returned in. UPS charged $10 to pack it when I returned the unit. Decisions decisions...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.