Bathtub Ring

Sep 11, 2011
Denton, Texas
What is the best (easiest) way to solve the bathtub ring issue? There is a fine white line (calcium?) that goes all the way around my tile at the water line. Acid does not seem to clean it very well. Someone suggested bead blasting...do not want to do that!

TXFlyGuy, a couple of months ago I adjusted my autofill to drop the pool level by 1" to see if the skimmer would work better. To my surprise I found a 3/8" wide, grey/white ring around the pool tile at the old water level. The ring had no thickness and strong acid had no effect on it. I tried pummice stone and that wouldn't shift it either. The really annoying thing was that I couldn't see the ring when it was wet so had to wait for it to dry to see if what I had done worked.

Eventually I gave up and adjusted the autofill back up to its previous level. :confused:

I don't know if my description of the bathtub ring matches yours, but if anyone has any ideas as to what this deposit might be, they would be much appreciated.

TXFlyGuy, a couple of months ago I adjusted my autofill to drop the pool level by 1" to see if the skimmer would work better. To my surprise I found a 3/8" wide, grey/white ring around the pool tile at the old water level. The ring had no thickness and strong acid had no effect on it. I tried pummice stone and that wouldn't shift it either. The really annoying thing was that I couldn't see the ring when it was wet so had to wait for it to dry to see if what I had done worked.

Eventually I gave up and adjusted the autofill back up to its previous level. :confused:

I don't know if my description of the bathtub ring matches yours, but if anyone has any ideas as to what this deposit might be, they would be much appreciated.

Yes, that is my situation exactly. We did a grout "touch up" on the entire pool. Saw the white line (bathtub ring) after we drained some water. Guess I just need to keep the pool filled up to hide it! The pool guy who did the grout work said the only way to remove it would be to bead blast.

My pool was bead blasted in March to remove a huge calcium tide mark that had accumulated under previous ownership. There was no grey/white ring at that time, so this one was formed in about six months. If a pummice stone can't remove it I'm not sure a bead blast would do it either.

We both have an SWG, I wonder if that has something to do with it?

A picture is not possible as the ring is now under water. However it is greyish white in color, slightly darker than a calcium deposit. It has no thickness, if you run your finger over it you can't even feel it. The acid I used easily removed calcium deposits but wouldn't touch this stuff.

The reason that acid doesn't always work well on scale above the water line is because it is often not 100% calcium carbonate. The white residue also contains other salts and elements (material or compounds) that aren't dissolved by an acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had the same things. The pumice stones Walmart sells work great, but you have to scrub ( and sometimes scrub and scrub and then scrub again). Does not work on just a few semi casual passes over it. Also, since the pumice wears down, the bottom of your pool will be gritty until you either vacuum it or let your cleaner get it up over time.

For really bad areas around our sconces I used a commercial product which was essentially acid in a foam that hardened and ate at it over time, (30 min) then you came back and wiped it off with water. That didn't take care of everything but it softened it up a lot and made the pumice stones more effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.