Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
Hello,

Getting ready to start an in ground plaster pool. We are trying to keep costs low with this build. As far as pool electronics, we only have a pump and two lights. That's it.

Since the pump is a programmable Pentair Intelliflow, I hate to buy a Pentair panel just to control the lights. At our last house, we had a Pentair i7+3 and we only used it to control the pump, lights, and landscape lighting. I thought it was way overkill. Plus, the wireless controller was a POS. It wouldn't work if not plugged in to the wall, and it would reset itself frequently. As nice as automated proprietary systems are, they seem to get outdated quickly these days, and often times its cheaper and easier to upgrade the whole system than replace outdated parts.

With this build, I'm going super simple (cheap). I would like to use the pump to schedule itself, and either a photocell or timer (Honeywell) for the pool light.

We moved into our last house with the pool already there, so I believe the light was an incandescent light that was replaced with an LED. To change colors, we just turned it on/off till desired color. It would remember the color when turned off. It was very basic, but I actually liked it.

Looking at options now, I'm blown away a nice Pentair color changing LED is about $1000. With the $500 controller to change colors, I'd be into two poo lights for $2500. It seems like way too much money for what we're getting. Plus, the little controllers don't get great reviews.

Anyway, I'd appreciate feedback from what people are using these days for pool lights other than the Pentair stuff. I don't mind buying a nice Pentair or other brand housing, but I feel their proprietary LED and color changing system is expensive for what it is.

Thank you!

Use a Pentair Amerlite incadescent pool light and replace the bulb with an LED bulb like you had in your last pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.