Basecrete "Intercept" on fresh gunite shell??

spatrickp

Jan 27, 2021
Pool Size
I've heard Basecrete Intercept (primary shell waterproofer, concrete densifier) is a great option to apply to a fresh gunite shell (simple garden sprayer application!). BUT, I've been told by my PB that the gunite shell doesn't need a waterproofer except for the waterline where the tile will go. He says the pebble finish will be the waterproofer. My question is whether he's right, and if so - what happens if the pebble finish has hairline cracks, etc? Wouldn't it be best to apply a waterproofer to the entire shell?

Would a shell waterproofer like Basecrete Intercept inhibit the ability of the pebble finish to bond to the gunite?
Is applying the Basecrete Intercept overkill (belt & suspenders)??

Love to hear your expert opinions - thanks!!

Gunite is not water proof. It never was intended to be. That's what your plaster does- it waterproofs the shell of the pool. As for under the tiles, I dunno but it might help avoid efflorescence?

Does your PB usually use it under tile?? Does he guarantee the tile work if used? Ask him that.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: ShadyPool
Hey.... I found this one post in the archives which discusses Basecrete Intercept-

Thank you for your input Maddie! I'll have to ask the PB what they use to waterproof at the waterline beneath the tiles.

I'm just wondering if spraying something like Basecrete Intercept (used to be called Basecrete Plus I think?) or Aquron CPSP would be a good low cost/high value thing to apply when we have the fresh shell available. Both product have almost the exact same claimed benefits:
  • Reduces moisture penetration
  • Reduces bleed through stains-EFFLORESCENCE, especially on Vanishing edge applications
  • Protects reinforcing steel
  • Helps pool water chemical balance
  • Strengthens the concrete, Shotcrete or Gunite pool shell
  • Protection from effects of freeze-thaw cycles
  • Deep penetration (3 to 5 inches)
  • Water borne = environmentally safe
  • Prevents pool chemicals from leaching into ground water supply
  • Environmentally friendly • No VOC/VOS content
  • Significantly enhances the cure (watering the shell surface, after the CPSP is applied, is still recommended)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.