BARACUDA G3 - safe for brand new plaster?

nikolausp

Gold Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Houston, TX
I have a brand new pool, freshly filled with water yesterday. I've read that I'm supposed to keep things vacuumed and brushed really well for the first 30 days or so, but I've also read not to use any vacuum with wheels for the first 30 days.

Does anybody know if the BARACUDA G3 cleaner hooked up to my skimmer, would be safe to use on New Plaster? It does not appear to have wheels. I have StoneScapes Mini-Pebble Tahoe Blue plaster installed.

A broader question, does anybody have any suggestions for a good vacuum to use for the first 30 days, if not the Baracuda?

Nowhere here does it say you should vacuum a plaster pool during the first 30 days. Just brush the surfaces as often as you can.

Nowhere here does it say you should vacuum a plaster pool during the first 30 days. Just brush the surfaces as often as you can.

Hmm.... What about this link?

New Plaster: Traditional Start-up
" After the first 48 hours vacuum daily before brushing using a vacuum head with brushes (such as used in vinyl pools) instead of wheels to prevent marring the plaster. Clean filter after vacuuming. "

Hmm.... What about this link?

New Plaster: Traditional Start-up
" After the first 48 hours vacuum daily before brushing using a vacuum head with brushes (such as used in vinyl pools) instead of wheels to prevent marring the plaster. Clean filter after vacuuming. "

That is saying you can use a manual vacuum head with brushes, not any type of automatic vacuum that moves along the floor of the pool. It is the type of vacuum head on a hose that plugs into your skimmer. They are a pain and I would skip it.

That is saying you can use a manual vacuum head with brushes, not any type of automatic vacuum that moves along the floor of the pool. It is the type of vacuum head on a hose that plugs into your skimmer. They are a pain and I would skip it.

Ok. And what about the leaves that are gathering at the bottom of my newly filled pool? After 30 days, I'll use my robot.... but what about during the first 30 days? The pool is next to an area with a lot of trees, so there are plenty of leaves in the pool.

Scoop out the leaves with a leaf rake...

Scoop out the leaves with a leaf rake...

Ok.... but I thought the idea was to be really gentle with the new plaster, so the leaf rake will be kinda harshly scraping the new plaster, to get the leaves with the net?

Sorry if these are silly issues to ask about... it's my first ever pool.

From Plaster Installation and Maintenance - Further Reading

Why no wheeled cleaner for first 30 days? Plaster is sufficiently hard once the pool is full of water. Pool cleaners can be installed and utilized after about two days if there is no plaster dust forming. The reason that tracks develop is usually from plaster dust being "packed down" by the pool cleaner wheels and then not removed by brushing. So it can look like an "indention" (and discolored) but it is not an indention. Brushing afterwards can help prevent the plaster dust from sticking on the plaster.

Most people cannot tell if they have plaster dust so best to just not use a wheeled cleaner for 30 days.

What startup guide are you following?

From Plaster Installation and Maintenance - Further Reading

Why no wheeled cleaner for first 30 days? Plaster is sufficiently hard once the pool is full of water. Pool cleaners can be installed and utilized after about two days if there is no plaster dust forming. The reason that tracks develop is usually from plaster dust being "packed down" by the pool cleaner wheels and then not removed by brushing. So it can look like an "indention" (and discolored) but it is not an indention. Brushing afterwards can help prevent the plaster dust from sticking on the plaster.

Most people cannot tell if they have plaster dust so best to just not use a wheeled cleaner for 30 days.

What startup guide are you following?

Traditional.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.