Baquacil gone, difficulty regaining balance. What next?

kateinvt

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2019
Vermont
Hi pool chemistry gurus,
Here's my dilemma:
After many weeks, and your guidance, I have finally gotten the baquacil out of my pool, achieved consistent <.5 CC, and crystal clear water. Yay! And thank you!
However, now our FC varies dramatically (and i still use many gallons of bleach) and TA seems really high.
So, what do I do next? Here are current numbers:
This morning, before direct sun hitting the pool: FC 0 (yesterday morning it was 13 after slamming it the previous evening. I neglected to measure last night as I couldn't imagine it would lose that much chlorine during the day).
I added 2 jugs 6% bleach this morning per pool math, in an attempt to get FC up to 5.
Current FC (measured 1 hour after bleach addition, while pool still in shade): 7.5 Pool is now in full sun and will be for next 7 hours.
CC: 0
pH: 7.6
TA: 150
CYA: 25-30ish
I should also say I added 3 lbs cynaric acid on July 5 and another 1 pd yesterday (july 7), after previous at home measurements of <20ppm.
Before adding the CYA i changed the filters and cleaned the pool. I have vacuumed once (yesterday) since then.
The pump has been running 24/7

I'm pretty sure I should do something else/different, but I don't know what.

Thank you in advance for your continued guidance and wisdom :)

Can you add the volume of your pool that you use to your signature?

The FC yesterday could have very well have been consumed by the sun if your CYA is very low.

If it's clear, no sign of algae, and no chlorine loss happens during the night (or very little, 1ppm or less) then you should be fine to keep normal levels.

I have to add about two or three gallons of 12.5% bleach a week in my 20k gallon pool in Wisconsin - that's how much mine uses. I add it daily, about a quart to half a gallon a day. Just to give an idea of what someone's consumption might look like and chlorinating habits.

Reactions: kateinvt
If it's clear, no sign of algae, and no chlorine loss happens during the night (or very little, 1ppm or less) then you should be fine to keep normal levels.

I have to add about two or three gallons of 12.5% bleach a week in my 20k gallon pool in Wisconsin - that's how much mine uses. I add it daily, about a quart to half a gallon a day. Just to give an idea of what someone's consumption might look like and chlorinating habits.
Thanks. I'll do a chlorine loss test tonight.

Kate, do you have a pool light fixture? If so, have you removed it and cleaned the niche? Did you ever observe pink slime or white mold when you were using Baquacil? If so you may have residual stuff in your return lines that are consuming FC.

Reactions: jblizzle
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.