Baqua - Chlorine Conversion in April (Will Post Pics)

This is certainly not a "rule" but i think you might get your best use of chlorine by dosing just as soon as the sun is off the pool in the evening. Then, dose at least once more before you go to bed, perhaps even bring it up a couple of extra ppm. Next, Get up early in the AM and give it another dose back to shock value and then, let it go until you repeat that evening.

I agree with duraleigh - that was the process I used once I rounded the hump and I started to be able to see the shallows.
As some point soon you will find that your chlorine will test fairly high in the morning too - then you'll down to topping it off in the am and a couple night time doses. It's looking great! it's definitely an awesome feeling once you start to see through the crud, isn't it :whoot:

Thanks duraleigh and radefeld, I will keep my eye on it today and will only add if it gets really low. It does feel great, I checked this morning and I can clearly see the shallow end, and a bit down the slope but not quite the deep end yet. I'll get you another picture as soon as the sun pops out.

This morning, Thursday, 7 AM

FC - 13.5
CC - 2.5

Hi Again Everyone,

I tested at noon,

FC - 6

I added a bit of bleach...I couldn't help myself :party:

Pool is definitely clearing up! I have added some pics.

Here is the view from the top again
IMG_0568.jpg

Theres the deep end return again...and you can see down the wall a bit
IMG_0560.jpg

Here's the shallow end...notice anything? I notice the bottom :)
IMG_0561.jpg

And here's the deep end...you can just make out a nice pile of leaves that I will be embarrassed about as soon as the water clears. At least it will be a lot easier getting them out when I can actually see them!
IMG_0567.jpg

lmao leebo, that's my wife and we caught her taking a (well deserved) lunch break. If I snapped the picture a couple of hours later we would have caught her painting the deck :goodjob:

I tested when the sun was getting low so Thursday, 7:00pm

FC - 6

added some bleach

Here's a pic of the leaves in the deep end...can't hide them any more!
IMG_0570.jpg

Just tested for 8:00PM

FC - 19.5
CC - 2.5

I wonder if I got the reading wrong at 7 as the free chlorine is pretty high. Hopefully that isn't an issue.

One more pic of what I like to refer to as the bleach memorial tower
IMG_0574.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.

Quick question on this - is this Total Chlorine, FC, or CC? Do you all think I'm close to this step?

My highly advanced baqua test strips read "very low" or 0.
IMG_0575.jpg

That's when you lose less than 1 FC overnight. Last night it looks like you lost 3FC's. Tonight after dark measure again well after you added bleach and measure again 1st thing in the morning. That will give you a hint just how close you are. In the mean time.....start cleaning all ladders, skimmers, lights, solar covers, and anything else that touched baquacil.

Thanks Leebo, I'll start the precise readings tonight and hopefully I will be replacing my filter sand soon!

Here are some photos from the day

Day 4 view from the top
IMG_0595.jpg

Missed 1 leaf in the deep end
IMG_0594.jpg

View from the shallow end
IMG_0590.jpg

And of course my favorite deep end return

Day 1
IMG_0534.jpg

Day 2
IMG_0546.jpg

Day 3
IMG_0560.jpg

Day 4
IMG_0588.jpg

linen - thanks for the advice, I did start step 7 today.

I told my wife at 10 that I would be done around noon so we could slack off the rest of the day. Needless to say, I just finished around 5. I learned a lot about sand filters, plumbing, and patience lol.

After spending about 7 hours with the pump off as I replaced the media, the results were

FC - 7
CC - 1.0

I decided that I will see if the pool passes the OCLT tonight and add the CYA tomorrow if it does, sun is on its way down anyway. Below is the photolog of my adventures today...

got the top off the filter
IMG_0599.jpg

and then proceeded to suck out the sand
IMG_0601.jpg

you can see here that the previous home owners sort of built a make-shift pad that was not holding up
IMG_0602.jpg

after sucking all the sand out, I took out the return pipe and the bottom had a crack. It made no sense to put it back in, then put the new gravel and sand on top of it just to have it completely fail and get sand in the pool. So, I packed up the old return pipe and fingers and went and got a new one...
IMG_0603.jpg

Finally got everything back together, and took the opportunity when the filter was sandless to add a makeshift pad with old materials I had left behind my shed. It's not the best, but better than what was there
IMG_0604.jpg

The wife and I agree, though, that the pool NEVER looked this good last year. It is funny how you don't realize how murky your water is until you see it crystal clear.
IMG_0605.jpg

I'll keep everyone posted, but thanks so much for the support!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.