Ball Valve Installation - clamp, screw, glue?

Zwrickers

Jun 21, 2019
Louisville KY
Hi, I'm getting a new liner tomorrow and my 27 ft round AGP has NO shutoff valves which was a nightmare last year trying to do any maintenance. I want to install two ball valves, one beneath the Hayward skimmer and another on the return line (which has an unused pool light Aqualuminator installed.) Right now the flexible pool hookups just clamp on to all 4 connections. If I purchase ball valves will I be able to clamp these on too, or do I have to use special glue or look for ones that screw into the skimmer, etc? I need this to be locally available at the pool stores near me due to timing (Watsons, Leslies).
1596457941514.png 1596457971433.png
Ideally I would choose Hayward or Pentair because I've heard the Home Depot and Lowe's ones are too hard to turn.......but I may not have a choice due to timing......

Thanks,
Kristin

For the skimmer I would get a 1½" threaded nipple and a threaded PVC valve, and reuse the threaded to hose adapter screwed into the bottom of the skimmer. Unscrew the threaded to hose adapter and screw the threaded nipple into the skimmer bottom. Then thread the hose adapter into the valve. That will give you the best quickest installation.

For the return you're kinda stuck with buying a couple of threaded to hose adapters, a threaded pvc valve, and a section of hose. That's not ideal, but it will work. You have a hose on the return, then an threaded adapter > valve > threaded adapter, and another hose.

OK. So it goes.......skimmer (with threaded to hose adapter removed) ......1596466103405.png1596465296072.png then
1596466103405.png
, then the threaded ball valve 1596465030111.png
1596465030111.png
then the original screw to hose adapter. ??

For the return, I am basically leaving the hose as it's attached now, adding a hose to screw adapter like this thing
1596465296072.png
. putting the threaded valve in, then another hose to screw adapter, then put the new hose in that with the metal O clamps around it. Is that what you mean? It looks like I would need a longer hose recepticle than the one shown above?

If I had to use non threaded ball valve, would I then have to buy the pvc glue and make it a permanent fixture? I think I'd prefer removable......

Thank you so much. I just really need this spelled out as I've never worked with plumbing before.

Kristin

Your pictures don't show up here, but it sounds like you have it right.

With hard pipe I agree with Chasarms, but with hoses I like the valves near the pool. That way of a hose is leaking and giving you a problem you can shut the valve off and remove/replace it, but either way works.

Hey - just wanted to follow up and say I DID IT! Thanks to the help and advice here, I was able to install Hayward ball valves before the pump and after the filter using hose connectors (and a few other connectors). I've already used this feature in servicing the pump and I am SO HAPPY I have these. Thank you so much! I really can't believe it. Looking forward to learning even more on this forum! I've been thinking about a DIY solar heater next...........

Sincerely,
Kristin

You show your appreciation and show off your handiwork in the same way. Pic's!!! We loves the pics! We gots ta have 'em!! They even have a dedicated smilie for it!!

:nopic:

Don't be shy. Show everybody what you came up with.

Ha, DIY solar. Don't get me started...

OK - here's a picture - if you don't laugh at my wonky-ness. I could not safely remove the screwed in hose adapter from the skimmer OR the filter without feeling like I was about the crack this 15 year old equipment! So I kept what was there and just added more hoses and more adapters and connectors. And though not ideal, IT WORKS! Though now I need to do something about that horrible black panel....maybe gray Rustoleum?
1597259524971.png
Kristin

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No way to eliminate that grey hose and connect the new valve directly to the pump inlet? Maybe one or two less clamps, 6' less of potential problems? Cleaner look, to boot? Or does that interfere with the original goal of making maintenance easier?

See, this is why we really wanted pics, so we could criticize your work!! ;)

Ha - no, I tried removing the hose adapter from the pump too and it just looked way too tight for me to confidently remove. I don't know how the previous owner put it in there or with that. And it would look MUCH cleaner to do without both gray hoses. Maybe I'll get more brave, but.....isn't there a real risk of cracking/breaking a pump or filter if the hose adapter was glued in or something?

There's nothing wrong with what you did. Some people would have done it differently, and you may do it differently next time. but what you've done is fine. It gives you a way to stop the water when you need to clean the filter and/or clean out the pump basket. And you didn't take a chance on breaking something.

Ha - no, I tried removing the hose adapter from the pump too and it just looked way too tight for me to confidently remove. I don't know how the previous owner put it in there or with that. And it would look MUCH cleaner to do without both gray hoses. Maybe I'll get more brave, but.....isn't there a real risk of cracking/breaking a pump or filter if the hose adapter was glued in or something?
Yah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! It was just that I saw that clamp around the grey hose at the pump. So even without the clamp, the hose is stuck to the pump? If so, and the pump housing is plastic, you made a good call...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.