Balancing Water

Aug 14, 2018
Birmingham, AL
I just took a sample of my water for the first time in a long time unfortunately and below are my numbers. I used the TF100 test kit to get the test results. Also using the poolmath, it was suggested to add the chemicals listed. My CH is low, but I can't really see adding 48 pound of hardener to my pool....am I doing this right? I have a 30,000 gallon in ground plaster pool. Thanks for any input!!

FC: 1.5 (per poolmath, I will add 343 oz of bleach to get to a goal of 7ppm)
CC: 0 (nothing needed here)
TA: 80 (add 141 oz of baking soda to get to 100ppm)
CH: 84 (add 782 oz of calcium chloride to get to 260ppm)..IS THIS CORRECT???

Did you test CYA? What was your calculated CSI from pool math?
The great thing about having your own test kit is you can retest easily to confirm your levels. It's also a good idea to add chemicals in small steps then test to confirm as a miscalculation can result in over application and having to drain water and refill.

Did you test CYA? What was your calculated CSI from pool math?
The great thing about having your own test kit is you can retest easily to confirm your levels. It's also a good idea to add chemicals in small steps then test to confirm as a miscalculation can result in over application and having to drain water and refill.

Thanks Oly. I forgot to post CYA.....it was above 20 as the black dot it the tube never disappeared during the test.

Your TA is fine. Don't raise it. What is your pH?

Why do you want a FC of 7 with a CYA of 20? Add some stabilizer to get your CYA up between 30-40. Then target your FC based on the FC/CYA Chart.

Test your CH again to confirm but yes for a plaster pool you want your CH to be 250 or higher.

Calculate your CSI using PoolMath

The good thing about CH is it never leaves the water. So once you add it it is there until a water change. For sure test again and make sure it is correct. When adding CH to water is gets very hot. Hot enough to burn so be careful adding it. I just threw (broadcasted) a box if it off the end of my diving board which is not the preferred method but it worked for me.

The good thing about CH is it never leaves the water. So once you add it it is there until a water change. For sure test again and make sure it is correct. When adding CH to water is gets very hot. Hot enough to burn so be careful adding it. I just threw (broadcasted) a box if it off the end of my diving board which is not the preferred method but it worked for me.
Thanks everyone! I’ll raise my CYA before doing anything else. What is the preferred method (other than broadcasting)to add chemical raising CH?....thanks!

Thanks everyone! I’ll raise my CYA before doing anything else. What is the preferred method (other than broadcasting)to add chemical raising CH?....thanks!

Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

Dissolving CH in a bucket of water can generate a lot of heat that can be a safety issue.

You may want to check your results on the CH test. 84 is not a multiple of either 10 or 25, so maybe you used the wrong number to multiply your drops. With 10 ml sample, you multiply drops by 25.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.