Balancing water - should I mess with anything?

jleo

Apr 30, 2024
DC
Hi there,
I’m a new pool owner (moved into a home with a ~10 year old pool). I had a pool service open it a couple weeks ago, but would like to maintain it over the summer myself. I’ve read through the pool water chemistry literature here and elsewhere, but would love some advice to make sure the water is properly balanced. It is a 35000 gal plaster pool/spa with a SWG. It has a cover that we keep closed, so the water is not exposed to a lot of direct sunlight. The water is clear. I tested with a Taylor kit this morning and got the following, my question is, should I mess with anything to try and get a CYA reading or make adjustments e.g. add acid, or just leave everything alone for now and test a few more times to see how the water changes over the next couple of weeks.
TA - 100 (TFP app recommends 60-80)
PH - >8 (TFP app recommends 7.6-7.8)
CH - 200 (TFP app recommends 350-550 - but the site also said with a spa keep levels to 100-150 to reduce foaming)
CYA - did not turn cloudy
FAC - 10
Salinity is measuring at 3.0 from the SWG which is within range based on the equipment manual. The SWG was previously set to 70% but I turned it down to 50% this morning since the chlorine level seemed high.
Thank you for your advice!

You should try to get your numbers within range. PoolMath will tell you exactly how to reduce or increase a specific reading to get within range. Lower T/A, Lower pH, Raise CH, Add CYA, etc....