Balancing new pool pH way low!

ncpoolguy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2020
North Carolina
While I was at work the pool rep came by to start my equipment and balance the pool.

I came home to find the pH at 6.2

TA: 40
Cl: not registering
CYA: not registering
CH: 50
He placed chlorine pucks in our skimmer.

He had told my wife the chemicals he added today should get us by for a week.

Im not thrilled with the pH. My plan is to add soda ash to bring it back up to 7.2 and keep the pH rise in check with acid additions.

Once pH is in check I plan on adding more calcium to get to 150 ppm as per pebbletec’s start up recommendations

Does all that sound like a good plan?

Pool guy had the overflow from the spa going all day, how much daily pH rise should I expect from the overflow (it’s about 1.5 ft wide and maybe 2ft fall.

Add baking soda instead of soda ash. Target 70 ppm TA.
pH rise depends on a number of factors. Just test it daily. How did you read 6.2? That is not a readable value on any color comparison tester.
Do raise your ch. Also, remove the tablets and put in a floater. Never put them in the skimmer.

Add baking soda instead of soda ash. Target 70 ppm TA.
pH rise depends on a number of factors. Just test it daily. How did you read 6.2? That is not a readable value on any color comparison tester.
Do raise your ch. Also, remove the tablets and put in a floater. Never put them in the skimmer.
Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes I just got a floater from Lowe’s.

measured 6.2 with my Oakton pH meter, calibrated a few weeks ago with little use since calibration-probe in storage solution

I did use the tf-100 for pH and the color was lighter than its lowest readable level.

I will add baking soda first to get to 70ppm

If the pH is still lower than 7.2 after baking soda should I just wait for it to rise from the aeration of the spa? How low is too low?

Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes I just got a floater from Lowe’s.

measured 6.2 with my Oakton pH meter, calibrated a few weeks ago with little use since calibration-probe in storage solution

I did use the tf-100 for pH and the color was lighter than its lowest readable level.

I will add baking soda first to get to 70ppm

If the pH is still lower than 7.2 after baking soda should I just wait for it to rise from the aeration of the spa? How low is too low?

Anything less than 7.2 is too low. You can use borax to raise PH without raising TA. Most importantly, you have to get your CL and CYA up. Pucks won't raise CYA fast enough. You should add stabilizer. I'm assuming you read Pool School?

As long as you are reading a TA of 40 or above the pH will rise quickly. Using baking soda is less of a hammer. Test the pH and TA tomorrow after circulating the baking soda for several hours.

Lower pH - use muriatic....TA also comes down
Raise pH - use borax.....it has little effect on TA.
Lower TA - acid and aeration method....see Pool School
Raise TA - use baking soda....it has little affect on pH

Please do not use soda ash. It leaves a residual that could be troublesome for your pool.

Lower pH - use muriatic....TA also comes down
Raise pH - use borax.....it has little effect on TA.
Lower TA - acid and aeration method....see Pool School
Raise TA - use baking soda....it has little affect on pH

Please do not use soda ash. It leaves a residual that could be troublesome for your pool.
Thank you, I took mknauss advice and raised my calcium and alkalinity. I’ll keep the soda ash for laundry. Hopefully by tomorrow morning my pH is in a better range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.