Balancing at first pool!!

Well up until last night my pool has been clear....... It RAINED last night.......
-checked my pool this morning and it was green :cry:
-used a test strip and everything looked good except for having no FC in it!!! yesterday i had too much???
-I added a little bleach, and set the pump to run all day with my SWG to run for 4 hours. Don't know if this will help. Couldn't really mess with it much because i had to be at work
-help......

Your pool is green because you are not shocking properly. You need to learn how to use the Pool Calculator. When you added stabilizer, how much did you add? What was your "target" for CYA - if that's what you added, that's your CYA level. Next go to the CYA chart. Refer to your CYA level and see what your FREE Chlorine levels SHOULD be. Look for your Shock Level. That is what your FC needs to be to clear your pool. Your level of 6 wasn't "too much" it wasn't ENOUGH.

Adding "a little bleach" won't get you anywhere. IF you want to clear your pool, take control. Get one of the recommended test kits, and follow the steps in How to Shock Your Pool.

Goodness frustratedpoolmom no need to scold me.. My apologies i do not have the best test kit. My apologies for struggling using the pool calculator. I am trying the best I can with what I have, and please do not infer that I am being lazy. I have spent countless hours reading, preparing, and working on this pool. I was just simply asking for some help. I truely did not think that I would get that kind of tone from someone from this forum..

I don't think any scolding was intended, the bold words are there just for emphasis. {I do not read any "tone" in that message} But, I can understand your frustration.

We are clearly trying to help, but it is very difficult when the appropriate tools are not used.

not a problem, im just easily frustrated because ive been trying very hard on this pool.. I will continually try to keep using the pool calculator.

My current cya levels were 30-50 this morning
FC - 0
everything else appeared good

thanks again

That illustrates the problem ... a CYA of 30-50ppm is a big range

If 30, you need to maintain a FC of 12ppm for the shock process
If 50, you need to maintain a FC of 20ppm for the shock process
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Which one are you going to do? Are you strips accurate enough to determine your FC at those levels?

We have tried to explain to you what you need to do, but it is not possible with what you have.

well i had more cya in the pool before the downpour, which added about an 1.5 inches of water to the pool... when i checked it this morning my cya was approx 35. yes i will be able to check it at that high of a level. I will be heading to the store after i get off to get some bleach if i could just find out how much to use.

Put your pool volume at the top, put your current levels down the left NOW column. Put the TARGET FC level in the right column and it the calulator will tell you have much bleach to add.

Then wait an hour, retest FC, update the NOW column, and add the amount of bleach determined.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IF you are in the shock process, you should be running the pump 24/7 and usually just turn the SWG off until you are done.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Quick update since ive been home to check:

-to my surprise when i got home my pool was crystal clear???!!!
-I checked my levels and everything was good FC-4
-The CYA showed a little lower which i expected from all the new water from the rain.
-I guess from running the pump all day, SWG 4 hours, and adding around a cup of bleach helped.

Wonderful world of Algae......

Well i thought my pool has been doing good.....

Went out to check for leaks when i got home from work and I noticed a bunch of small green spots on the bottom of the pool floor. I vacuumed the best i could with my vacuum set up (wish i had the rover jr.) I poured 121oz of bleach in the pool then i started brushing it. My numbers have been stable for the past week although yesterday and today i set my SWG to run for 3 hours instead of 4 (doubt that had anything to do with it).
-should i have been brushing and vacuuming the pool more?

FC - 4
pH - 7.4
TA - 90
CYA -30

Re: Wonderful world of Algae......

thedarktitan:

Proper chlorination will keep algae away. I only vacuum my pool when needed. Brushing is once a week or as needed. Was your FC number of 4 tested before or after you added 121 oz of (presumably) 8.25% bleach? That amount of bleach will raise your pool's FC by ~3.2 ppm (guestimating your pool to be ~24,500 gallons assuming 4 foot depth). If your test results were taken after you added the bleach, then your starting FC dropped below the target for your CYA and it's possible that the green spots could be algae.

One key number is missing from your test results: CC's. This will help determine whether you have algae or other organic contaminants. If your current test kit will not test for CC's, I would suggest looking into one of the recommended kits (see link in my sig).

At this point, you could run an OCLT (link in my sig) and/or see if the green spots are temporary staining from leaves/pollen. If you find that you need to shock, keep in mind that it is not a one-time addition of product.

Re: Wonderful world of Algae......

-Thanks for the reply. It was def algae. When I checked the vacuum pouch I found some green slime stuck to it. --My FC was 4 before I added the bleach.
-it really wasn't a lot of algae just small spots scattered throughout the pool. It did and is still stressing me..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.