Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
This weekend I will close the pool - first time for me.
here are my current numbers:
FC 8.6
CC 0
pH 7
TA 110
CH 220
CYA 45

I have two bags of shock to use and plan on running the pump for 24 hours then draining the water below the skimmer and input holes then covering with the pool tree system.
Are my numbers in line to be in a good spot? Or are there any adjustments I need to make prior to shocking?

TIA!

It would help if we knew more about your pool type and equipment. Can you update your signature please? Include your test kit too. See my sig as an example. Knowing your pool type and equipment can influence the replies. Also, owners often increase the FC level before closing or add a Polyquat 60 algaecide. Will you be doing either?

It would help if we knew more about your pool type and equipment. Can you update your signature please? Include your test kit too. See my sig as an example. Knowing your pool type and equipment can influence the replies. Also, owners often increase the FC level before closing or add a Polyquat 60 algaecide. Will you be doing either?
I have made two attempts to do so - no luck, so here is the info from my profile. Hope this helps:

AG Summerwaves (intex) 12x24 soft side ultra frame pool, Intex saltwater 2100 gph pump, Taylor K-2006C test kit

I am thinking the 2 packages of TurboShock will bring the FC up. Is that correct? And yes, I failed to mention I will be adding algecide.
Appreciate the help!

No worries. I was able to add the sig for you. :) Remember with phones, you may have to turn it sideways to see the entire page. While not mandatory, it's common for owners to increase their FC level to SLAM level (in your case 20) or close to it in an effort to ensure there is no excessive organic activity at closing. The problem with the shock products is that it will increase CYA a little. To determine how much, you can use the PoolMath APP. Not sure those two bags alone will increase your FC enough, but you can try, or just garb a bottle or two of liquid chlorine. The ironic part is that when you increase the FC to SLAM level, you want to let it fall about halfway back to normal if you can before adding the algaecide. This year's weather has bee odd to say the least, so many pools are closing with warmer than usual temps. If your water is crystal clear with no algae, you might get-by with increasing the FC to about 10-12, then add the algaecide and let it mix really good for about 24 hours before closing. Hope that helps.

CleaneD and SLAMMED the pool yesterday. FC is at 29 this am. Overcast here and suppose to rain 2 days mid week. Would appreciate suggestions on how to handle given it is going to take a while for the FC to get to around 15 so I can put the alegcide in. Am using a leaf net. In a catch 22, planned to leave the solar blanket back off to help the FC come down but no sun so thinking of putting back on to help minimize stuff getting in my crystal clear pool until I can get the algecide in, mixed and officially close the pool. Thoughts?

As for chemical balance, my thoughts are that closing the pool is only the beginning of the job. I can't speak to any importance of adding chlorine during the off-season (what would be the point?) but I do feel that maintaining an SI that is not in the etching or scaling zone is important. Looks like you have a vinyl pool though, so probably nothing to worry about.

Can someone help me understand the possible consequences of closing with the FC too high? Temp lows will near freezing by end of week? Do I go ahead and put the algecide in while the FC is still in the mid 20s then finish closing? Or, Do I keep the pump running so nothing freezes and wait for the FC to drop to around 15, put the algecide in and close?

Attachments

• B3F38934-2E51-4D33-8F9B-3E6B8C048B3C.jpeg
    B3F38934-2E51-4D33-8F9B-3E6B8C048B3C.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2
The only potential consequence I can think of is the elevated FC possibly impacting the liner a bit (fading), especially if you plan on using a cover. That might be a stretch, but I'd want to play it safe. So if you are not rushed to close, I would keep the water moving since you over-shot your SLAM FC level last Sunday by about 9 ppm. See if you can let that FC fall to 20 or below ideally around 15 based on your CYA number. If you "have" to close now, just do it and don't add the algaecide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.