Baja Depth / Ledge Lounger

kjjones

Jan 31, 2022
Laveen, AZ
In the beginning stages of designing pool and wife wants baja deck but I'm wondering about the depth it should be. I'm being told 6 to 9 inches is recommended but that seems to shallow to me. The idea is to use Ledge loungers unless their is a better more cost effective option for seating?

I purchased them at a swimming pool trade expo and they were on display and all 4 had dings on them, the salesman did not want to haul them back so I got them at a great price. Personally I think they are uncomfortable to lay on for any long length of time because they are made of ridged plastic that does not give at all but the girls love them.

Reactions: kjjones
I thought I saved a link to an off brand ledge lounger, but I can't find it at the moment. Do a search here on the forum for ledge lounger and you will get quite a few hits. Most of them will have links to others that people have found.

--Jeff

My (under construction) pool has a 12” Baja shelf. Like many things is totally subjective, but I felt the same, 6-9” is too shallow. For me 12” is deep enough that small kids (think 2-3 year olds) can play in it, but adults are still able to fairly comfortably sit in it and/or sit on the edge and out your feet in to cool off.

That picture helps a lot, thank you. Are there any more cost effective options then ledge lounges? They seem so expensive. I wonder if something like this would be a better bang for the buck with similar results - https://www.amazon.com/PURPLE-LEAF-Outdoor-Sunbathing-Headrest/dp/B0836TYX2G/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=Ledge+Lounger&linkCode=sl2&linkId=31432797e17f53bee1c2724a71e33060&qid=1647894736&sr=8-12&th=1
This style is a bit more reasonable in price: Slim Pool Chaise Sun Lounger White ISP087-WHI

I have two of them. Very comfortable, and material seems to be quality.

First things first. Make sure you and the pool builder are talking about water depth and not wall depth. There's been a lot of mix ups in the past where builders and owners have different thoughts. If you want 9" of water, then the wall has to be 12". Want 12" of water, then the wall has to be 15".

We have 12" of water on our ledge and I wouldn't want any less. The only problem with 12" of water is the Ledge Lounger would have to be the Deep Ledge Lounger style or a riser would be needed for the regular one. We did the risers, and with 12" of water, it's hardly noticeable.

Also, Ledge Lounger sells "seconds" that have minor blemishes on them, and we got two of those and there's nothing but a couple scratches on the sides that we don't see when in the water. I think they were about $150 off regular price. I did receive an email from them recently, that states that they had to raise their prices for the first time in their history.

As for comfort, we have head pillows for them, which makes a huge difference in making them more comfortable.

If you're still in the planning stage, make sure the length and width of the ledge will accommodate the loungers you want to put there, and still have enough room to move around. Ledge Lounger website has documents that give minimal space requirements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And if I'm being honest, the Ledge Lounger brand ones are terrible to fill and empty. It's like they had marketing people figure out where to put the plugs. There is a correct placement of the plugs, and then there is where they put them. Impossible to completely fill and drain. Although admittedly, not something I would have thought about prior to doing.

--Jeff

We're going with a 15" water depth baja ledge. My father-in-law's pool was at 18" water depth and my wife liked that, but it seemed too deep and would eliminate almost every possible accessory out there. 15" seems to be the max for tables and lounges.

We're going with a 15" water depth baja ledge. My father-in-law's pool was at 18" water depth and my wife liked that, but it seemed too deep and would eliminate almost every possible accessory out there. 15" seems to be the max for tables and lounges.
This year there is a new in-pool chaise on the market that was designed with arm rests for comfort and to be adaptable in up to 17" of water. You can buy them without the base but as the water gets deeper you can add risers to them. The large risers would work in the 15" ledge you plan to have. SHAYZ Lounge | Baja Shelf Comfort Chaise

This year there is a new in-pool chaise on the market that was designed with arm rests for comfort and to be adaptable in up to 17" of water. You can buy them without the base but as the water gets deeper you can add risers to them. The large risers would work in the 15" ledge you plan to have. SHAYZ Lounge | Baja Shelf Comfort Chaise
Thanks. I actually forgot someone else had mention those before as when I clicked on the link, I had already favorited that page. Thanks for the info. I don't recall seeing tables for over 15", but the armrest cup holders would be nice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.